- Muscle Hypertonicity – Causes
- How to identify hypertension in infants
- Hypertension Treatment
- Relaxing massage
- Additional physical procedures
The child crosses the legs, bending them to the body, arms constantly clenched into fists – all these are signs of increased tone the muscles. Until six months, this behavior is the norm.
If after 6 months it’s difficult for the baby to extend her limbs, this may indicate a developing disease. Accurate establishes a diagnosis and treatment regimen neuropathologist.
In the womb, all fetuses are in position embryo, after birth most of them for a while her saves. If a pregnant woman has her legs crossed on an ultrasound scan, this norm. After birth for 3 months, the flexors and extensors the muscles gradually relax, and the baby becomes mobile.
Muscle Hypertonicity – Causes
Why does a child cross its legs? There are two main reasons. One is perinatal encephalopathy, which is violation of the normal functioning of the central nervous system, which is provoked negative effect on infants of various factors. During the period intrauterine development, as well as in the first month after birth it may be:
- Diseases of a pregnant somatic origin accompanied by chronic intoxication;
- Pathologies of the mother of an infectious nature in the acute form of type toxoplasmosis, chlamydia, herpes, and intrauterine infections during pregnancy;
- Metabolic disorders and genetic diseases origin;
- Pregnancy occurring with early and late toxicosis, threats of its interruption, oxygen fetal failure and other manifestations of pathologies;
- Bad habits incompatible with pregnancy, such as taking alcohol or smoking, causing circulatory disorders, fetal intoxication with alcohol and nicotine;
- Chronic heart or kidney failure, diseases liver and endocrine system in a pregnant woman;
- Complicated childbirth characterized by insufficient birth activity or rapid delivery, prolonged the period of amniotic fluid withdrawal until the birth of a newborn, insufficiently disclosed birth canal, methods of obstetric care (by forceps, vacuum extractor), newborn, entwined umbilical cord; non-standard fetal mass;
- Caesarean section operation if gentle “cosmetic” incision (25 cm) interferes with the normal passage of the head with Ø 35 cm – so free the fetus, obstetricians pull up the newborn, often traumatizing the cervicothoracic area of the spinal column.
Perinatal encephalopathy may develop hypertonicity of varying severity:
- Light form – the child crosses the legs per month;
- The average degree – lasting from 2 months;
- Severe hypertonicity – the baby does not extend the limbs until of the year.
A factor provoking increased tone is and hemolytic disease of children, meaning a conflict Rh factor blood in the fetus and mother.
How to identify hypertension in infants
To determine hypertonicity, it is not necessary to wait until crosses the legs of a child of 6 months and older. This pathology can identify immediately after the baby is born. The main symptoms will be:
- Nervous behavior of a newborn, troubled sleep, prolonged crying for no apparent reason.
- An infant bends its back and throws its head back – and in sleep time, and during wakefulness.
- Chin trembling while crying.
- The limbs are tightly compressed, all attempts to straighten them cause crying and resistance.
- According to the innate reflex, if, holding back, put the baby on its legs on a flat hard surface, he must imitate steps, stepping the whole foot, like adults. A sick child will walk on tiptoe.
If the baby crosses the legs at 3 months, according to the doctor Komarovsky’s treatment is optional: he will outgrow. If manifestations of increased tone are excessive or observed in children, older than 6 months, it will interfere with its normal development. To to avoid cerebral palsy and other serious consequences, it is necessary to show the child to specialists.
Distinguish two methods treatment. One is used when the disease is noticed in the first month of life, and the cause can be eliminated with a special massage, medical gymnastics, aromatherapy, physical procedures.
In another embodiment, a medication is prescribed. potent drugs.
The main goal of each method will be to eliminate the causes causing hypertonicity associated with a certain pathology.
Any treatment requires the active participation of parents and their positive attitude towards their sick child. In family conditions must be created so that the baby is calm and comfortable to feel loved and desired. Moms note – how a child moves in his stomach.
Useful information – at what age does the newborn begin crawl
A special massage complex covers kneading and stroking the back, arms and legs. All movements should be smooth without pats and other sharp manipulations.
Since the course of treatment with massage is long and costly, not bad if one of the parents master the basic techniques to do massage the baby with his own hands and in his usual setting.
Relaxation before massage – embryo pose: limbs bent and drawn to the body, head also tilted. One handed hold arms and legs, the other – the head from below, swinging the baby in longitudinal direction.
Children really like the cradle when the child is lying on his back, lift the upper body and swing it vertically and horizontally
- At the initial stage, they squeeze squeezed fingers first handles, then legs, and finally stroking the back. Stroking techniques must be alternated: first – the surface of the fingers, then – the whole brush.
- Then rub the skin in a circular motion. For this baby put on the stomach and massage the back with short strokes “up and down, left and right. ”
- Next, you need to turn the child over and move on to training the legs and hands. The main method of rotational shaking: one hand holds the child’s hand and shakes it lightly, the second simultaneously holds the forearm. Gradually moving move along the arm. If the handle is already relaxed, you can work out each finger.
- After shaking, the limbs shake quickly and measured oscillations, developing joints in the transverse direction.
- The next trick is from Chinese massage: squeezing hands and fingers. The handle is absolutely relaxed.
- Two piston rubbing handles are effective palms.
- End relaxing massage with gentle stroking.
Effective with this diagnosis and physiotherapy exercises. Complex exercises that can be arranged for children at home should be taken from specialist in exercise therapy. Gymnastics does not present difficulties, the main thing is be patient for a long time.
- With a ball. The child is placed on a large ball belly down. Holding torso, gently swing in the longitudinal and transverse direction. It is important to perform the exercise smoothly so as not to scare baby. After getting used to such a training, you can complicate task, straightening the handle of the baby.
- Swinging without a ball – “hanging swing”. You can rock the child (in the transverse or longitudinal direction) by weight. For this the baby must be taken under the armpits and easily swing around. A lightweight, but no less useful option is to perform this training in the water.
- Among the mandatory exercises – abduction of a bent arm (a crumb – on the side) or forward (the child is on his stomach).
- Leading straight arms to the sides, alternating straightening with Crossing at chest level.
- Circular movements of the shoulders and arms, “scissors”, alternating and simultaneous lifting of the handles up.
Exercises for the legs:
- If a 5-month-old baby crosses its legs, a “wide swaddling. ”For this, a diaper must be placed between the legs of the baby, assembled in an accordion, and fix it with panties. To breed crossed legs can only be with the complete absence of pain in the baby, otherwise, another time he will not allow such swaddling.
- It is useful to teach the baby to crawl. If he himself isn’t even trying, you need to put it on your stomach, emphasize your hands and spread your legs. In this position, he will try to crawl.
- If the baby “walks” only on the fingers, it is necessary to strengthen stretched front muscles and stretched back muscles lower legs. To perform the exercise, the baby is placed on the stomach, legs bent at the knees so that the legs are held upright. On the soles should be pressed gently, carefully stretching the Achilles tendon.
- If the baby is 4 months old crosses her legs, to develop a supporting lower limb functions can use congenital reflexes baby. If you take the feet with the fingers of two hands, and press with the big to the area near the fingers, the foot will bend. Swiping along to the heel, you can straighten the foot.
Massage and gymnastic exercises must be performed in a complex, each course of treatment should be 10-15 days. Then it is necessary pause for 2 months.
Do not forget that each baby is an individual, therefore details must be checked with a specialist.
Training video for all procedures (including spot massage) with muscle hypertonicity Of the many exercises you can make your own complex – taking into account age and characteristics of the body, which will please both mom and babies.
Additional physical procedures
Complement the basic treatment with aromatherapy, herbal baths and physiotherapy using electrophoresis, paraffin, ozokerite.
It is useful to add sea salt, decoctions and tinctures of medicinal herbs – valerian, sage, pine needles, herbs motherwort or lingonberry leaves.
Wellness baths with various additives suit the child every 3 days, and the next day, bathe in plain water.
The success of treatment of muscle hypertonicity in children depends on perception problems by infants themselves, their parents and the frequency of all procedures. If the disease is not treated, the child will lag from peers in development, there will be violations of coordination of movements and speech delay.
If the child crosses the legs in a month, responsible parents it is necessary to constantly monitor its growth and at the first suspicions to be examined by a pediatrician or neurologist. Timely revealed a disease is a simple treatment and an effective result.