Update: October 2018
Burr is a rupture of the skin of the nail roll. More often
just occurs on the lateral roller of the fingers, i.e. at the side
nail because this area is most susceptible to mechanical
impact. Slightly less than a little burrs are found in the back.
roller. Burrs on the toes also occur less frequently.
Externally, the burr looks like a piece of skin or a piece of peeling.
skin. This picture does not decorate the nails, and even causes
pain, bleeding, can lead to paronychia (periungual
Burr is most susceptible to dry skin with
hypersensitivity. Permanent dry skin
exposure to provoking factors leads to its thinning and
loss of elasticity in the area around the nail. Why often appear
burrs? The fact is that even the slightest impact on such skin
leads to cracking.
- Long, constant contact of the skin of the hands with water, with household
detergents (often there are burrs in women, not
using gloves when cleaning, washing dishes, etc.)
- Handling various chemicals without protecting hands
gloves (see how to minimize the harm of household chemicals for
- Skinning, frostbite and dry skin, especially
in the winter
- Lack of proper hand care
- The bad habit of biting nails, biting the skin around the nails,
- Mechanical trauma to the skin when performing trim
pedicure and manicure
- Skin injury with sand, pebbles often causes burrs on
- The use of low-quality nail polishes, liquids for
removal of the coating (see also why the nails exfoliate and crumble).
- Substandard materials containing methyl methacrylate
used for nails
- Excess cuticle, growing on the nail plate
- Frequent walking barefoot, accompanied by skin injury
sand and pebbles.
- Deficiency of vitamins (A, B, E) and trace elements (see vitamins in
products and tablets, what’s the difference)
- Eating Disorders, Diet, Fasting
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract
- Non-compliance with the drinking regime (dehydration).
As with any skin damage, burrs can be a gateway for
bacterial infectious agents (streptococcus, golden
Staphylococcus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa) and fungal (dermatophytes,
- Constant tearing or gnawing of a burr leads to exposure
tissues and the formation of a bleeding weeping surface,
touching which brings severe pain.
- Paronychia (felon) – inflammation okolonogtevogo roller
occurs when the infection spreads through soft tissues. If a
a finger swelled, redness and throbbing pain appeared – developed
okolonogtevoy felon. Formation further plot
softening tissues with a parallel change in skin color on
yellowish, speaks of the accumulation of purulent exudate in the sub- or
- Nail deformation – sometimes paronychia becomes chronic
current with periodic exacerbations: the nail thickens, changes
color and deformed.
Burrs are small or large, multiple and
single. Permanent burrs companions are
soreness, especially if accidentally touched, and
- In addition to the aesthetic and medical problems, burrs complicate
everyday life: cling to clothes, hair, causing
- Multiple burrs give your hands a messy and
repulsive appearance, a person with such a problem is experiencing
psychological discomfort and constantly hiding hands.
Bright symptoms do not cause doubts in the diagnosis. Special
attention deserve cases where the burrs with proper care and
the absence of provoking factors are formed again and again. AT
In this case, additional studies are needed:
- blood chemistry
- trace analysis of hair for microelements
- perhaps an analysis of the content of vitamins in the blood
- examination of feces for dysbacteriosis
With a vitamin deficiency it is also possible the appearance of cracks in the corners.
mouth If complications arise when a finger breaks, it is carried out
bakposev purulent content with the definition of etiological
pathogen and drug sensitivity.
How to remove burrs at home
- Steam skin in a hot bath for 10 minutes. AT горячую
water is added sea salt or soda (1 tbsp. per 500 ml).
- ATысушить руки полотенцем, бережно и тщательно.
- Medical alcohol-treated sharp nail scissors
or with tweezers, carefully cut off the cuticle. Scissors for cutting skin
held parallel, and forceps – in a perpendicular position, for
more tight fit to the skin. Do not pull or tear the burr
– it will lead to the break of healthy skin, i.e. the basis will be formed
for the new burr.
- Treat the skin with antiseptic (hydrogen peroxide, alcohol
tincture of calendula), and then apply the cream Dexpanthenol (analogues
Bepanten, Panthenol, D-Panthenol, Pantoderm ointment or moisturizer,
nourishing hand cream.
- Stick a patch with a fabric to the finger to
prevent accidental injury to treated skin
For those who are afraid to trim the burr, it is recommended that
way: at night, the skin in the place of the burr is carefully smeared with ointment
calendula and loosely stick the above plaster. By the morning
The burr softens and retires by hand washing. However complete
removal may not occur, and the small remaining piece of skin,
clinging to clothes can be another burr.
|Velvet handles – healing with sea buckthorn oil||Green pharmacy, healing hand cream and oil
|Grandmother Agafi’s Recipes – Healing||Ointment and creams with Dexpanthenol|
How to get rid of burrs on the fingers in the salons
AT специализированных салонах проводятся такие же действия, как и
at home, but more professionally and with less risk of relapse. but
both the salon and master must be credible, since the removal
burr untreated tool can lead to
infection. Also in the salons you can spend the following types
professional care that prevent burrs:
- Spa Manicure and Spa Pedicure
- Manicure and pedicure
- Hand and foot peeling
- Paraffin therapy
- Oil baths. Heat a small amount of vegetable
oil and hold his hands in it for 10-20 minutes. Oil can not flush, and
gently rub into the skin, wearing cotton gloves on top.
Repeat every day at night.
- Gruel from aloe medicinal. Some fresh leaves
crushed and applied gruel to the fingertips, wrapped over the top
food wrap. AT идеале выдерживают несколько часов, но не менее
30 min. Repeat 1-2 times a week.
- Sea buckthorn or rosehip oil – can be applied in place
burrs, they have excellent wound healing, cytoprotective
Treatment of complications
It often happens that a burr is torn off, and a finger tears through
some time. With the development of the inflammatory process should be without
Delay to contact the surgeon.
The acute stage is treated with conservative methods: effective
warm compresses, finger outside procedures hold in the sublime
position If necessary, the doctor prescribes oral antibiotics.
to prevent an abscess.
In case of periungual abscess in conditions
The treatment room shall be drained and opened. With
subungual abscess to be removed nail plate, partially
- Professional care for hands and feet. High-quality edging
manicure and pedicure almost completely eliminates the formation
- Disinfection of the skin after home manicure and pedicure
(hydrogen peroxide, tea tree oil).
- Искоренение привычек грызть ногти, suck fingers, часто
observed in children. In addition to bleeding and painful burrs,
such a habit can lead to aII (intestinal infection) and worms
- Skin protection against aggressive and natural environments
factors (protective creams, gloves).
- Hand washing using baby soap.
- Use nutritious and emollient hand creams after
every wash and manicure. Cream should be applied around each
nail and light massage movements rub in until absorbed.
- Withменение смягчающих ванночек с морской солью, глицерином или
soda 1-2 times a week.
- Withем витаминов и минералов. What vitamins are not enough, you can
determine by blood test.
- Compliance with the drinking regime.
- Full nutrition.
Автор: врач-гигиенист, эпидемиолог