Update: October 2018
White spots on the nails of the hands, called in medicine leukonychia,
refer to pathological changes of the nail plate.
What does white spots on nails mean? A characteristic feature of leukonichia –
white spots on the nail plate in the form of dots, strips or
large areas of various shapes, sizes and locations.
Leikonichia is widespread, but not many
treat the disease seriously, considering the problem purely
cosmetic. Behind the white spots on the finger nails can stand
somatic and infectious diseases, so the symptom should not
remain without attention.
Почему на ногтях появились белые пятна – этим вопросом чаще
women are more prone to this symptom. Whites
stains on the nail plate in a child with a probability of 80% speak about
hypovitaminosis, the remaining 20% is occupied by nail “rodents”.
Causes of white spots on the nails
The main cause of white spots – a violation of the act of keratinization
nail (keratinization). What does it mean: between the layers of the nail plate
microscopic air layers are formed that replace fat
and water present there in good condition. Airy
interlayers and look like white spots, no pigment white
there is no color in the nail.
A violation of keratisation occurs due to the causes of exogenous and
If white spots are found under the nails, i.e. on grown
parts, in most cases it is the result of damage or
the consequence of brittle nails.
According to the prevalence of leukonychia classified:
- Limited due to partial violation
keratinization of the nail. As a rule, 1-2 nails are affected.
- Total, exciting entire nail or all nails
at the same time.
The shape of the spots are distinguished:
- Dot leukonychia in the form of white dots, small or large,
multiple and single.
- Striped in the form of white stripes with a horizontal or
vertical arrangement on the nail plate.
Characteristics of leukonichia, depending on the reasons
- Nail injuries – pinpoints, rarely strip-shaped, with chaotic
location Nail is limited
- Depression, nervous exhaustion — большое белое пятно в центре
the nail. Disappears as it grows back.
- Alimentary factors (starvation, diet, unbalanced
food) – paired white stripes with a transverse arrangement
- Seasonal hypovitaminosis (spring) – single white spots
- Prolonged vitamin deficiencies – multiple white spots,
concomitant fatigue, dry skin, hyperkeratosis
- CKD – extensive white spots on the bottom of the nail plate,
the top has a healthy color
- Diseases of the CAS – white spots on the nail plate, which
has a bluish tint
- Diseases of the digestive system – total damage
nails, often and on feet
- Fungus – white spots on a limited area of the nail, yellowing
and softening of the plate, thickening, delamination, unpleasant smell
от пораженного the nail. When spreading process is affected
Diagnosis of leukonychia
In China, inspection of the condition of the nails is mandatory
doctor’s examination, such as we have blood pressure measurement,
because doctors connect the energy channels of the fingers with
internal organs. A healthy person has correct nails.
forms, smooth, smooth, frosted or slightly shiny nail
Change in the normal state of the nails in the absence of exogenous
reasons suggests an internal pathology, the limitation of which is not
more than six months – it is during this period that it fully grows
The diagnosis of leukonichia is carried out by a dermatologist, for this
usually carried out:
- trace element analysis
- scraping for mushrooms
If necessary, he will refer to other narrow specialists
(cardiologist, neurologist, etc.). Whites пятна (лейконихию)
- Stripe Meya – poisoning with thallium or arsenic (strips
white and blue color 5mm, located across)
- Onychomycosis is a nail fungus that is characterized by
deformity, ingrown nail, “bird nail”, a change in its color,
plate thickening, crumbling or delamination the nail.
Treatment leukonychia – how to get rid of white spots
The treatment of leukonichia is based on the elimination or therapy.
the cause of the symptom. The entire therapeutic complex can
divided into general measures recommended in case of leukonychia
etiology, internal treatment and external methods.
- elimination of stressful situations;
- establishment of a diet with the enrichment of the diet with protein,
vitamins and minerals. Useful dairy products, green
vegetables and fruits;
- normalization of work and rest;
- reception of balanced vitamin and mineral complexes.
If the cause of leukonychia is somatic pathology, without
treatment of the underlying disease is indispensable. In this case, white
stains on the nails are a fraction of what can lead to
disease. Do not neglect the appointments of doctors!
When a fungal infection is detected, a systemic or
local (more often) antifungal treatment for a long period
time with obligatory laboratory control.
Applicable with leukonichia exogenous nature. First of all,
the root cause of white spots is eliminated.
- To correct a cosmetic defect, you can contact the salon
beauty. Local treatment may be offered with
professional tools, hand massage, improving
- At the time of treatment should refuse from manicure and decorative
cover, and the more you can not grow nails.
- Trays with sea salt. Add 1 to 1 liter of hot water.
tsp sea salt. Take a bath for 10-15 minutes.
- Baths with decoction of oak and chamomile bark (1 tablespoon of raw materials per 1 liter
water). Performs healing and antiseptic function, shown
at microdamages. Take a warm bath for 10-15 minutes.
- Oil solution of vitamins A and E (Aevit). Capsule with vitamins
pierce and rub oil into the nail plate. Repeat each
- Fish fat. Rubbed into the affected nail, you can repeat
- Olive oil and lemon juice. Rub heated mixture
olive oil and juice (1: 1) in the nail plate, repeat 2-3
times a week.
- Home “lacquer” from a mixture of iodine tincture, olive oil and
Aevita: 60 ml of oil take 5 drops of iodine tincture and 5 capsules
Aevita. All stirred and brush applied to the nails before bedtime.
Prevention leukonychia эндогенного происхождения в обязательном
procedure includes routine checkups and
timely appeal to doctors in the presence of complaints
Prevention of fungal leukonychia is a strict
personal hygiene, especially when visiting baths,
saunas, swimming pools, use of personal towels, regular washing
hands, and if you can not wash – hands treatment with liquid
antiseptics or antiseptic wipes.
Prevention leukonychia экзогенного происхождения заключается в
elementary activities that allow your nails to keep
- Proper manicure and pedicure without nail damage
- Use of high-quality varnishes and liquids for removal
- Use rubber gloves when handling chemicals.
- Wear commensurate footwear.
- Fighting the habit of biting your nails is not only disfiguring the nail,
but also a risk factor for intestinal infections and helminths
Автор: врач-гигиенист, эпидемиолог