Update: October 2018
Permanent teeth need regular care because they are given
man, as they say, for life. Healthy gums and periodontal
act as a defense factor against atherosclerosis, stroke and heart attack.
The fact is that bacteria from the oral cavity trigger immune reactions
response, increasing the level of cytokines that directly increase
inflammatory aspect of atherosclerosis.
The possibilities of modern orthodontics are very high – fully
You can replace a lost tooth with a crown or implant,
however this is an expensive procedure and there is nothing better than
own healthy teeth. How to brush your teeth
adults, we will tell in this article, read also how to properly
brushing teeth for children, and how to care for dentures and
How often and when to brush your teeth
- Teeth should be cleaned at least 2 times a day: in the morning after
Breakfast and in the evening before bedtime.
- How to properly: brush your teeth before or after breakfast? Most
dentists will tell you that the hygienic procedure is worth
spend after breakfast so that food remains do not become nutritious
environment for bacteria and the further formation of plaque. But also
You can also find the opinion that after sleeping you should rinse your mouth or
even clean, and then take food, because for the night on the teeth
accumulates plaque (surely everyone feels it in the morning), which
consists of saliva, bacteria and their metabolic products. With
the presence of periodontitis should be brushed before breakfast. In this way
ideally, you should brush your teeth before breakfast (or at least
rinse your mouth) and after breakfast if the paste is not overly
abrasive, as well as after lunch and snacks.
- During the day after snacking, rinse your mouth with water or
It’s enough for a toothbrush to brush your teeth without a paste.
prevent bacteria from multiplying and decomposing residues
- As for chewing gum, using it makes sense
only to clean the mouth, i.e. chewing no more than 1-2 minutes and
spitting out. Further finding the chewing gum in the mouth
leads to excessive salivation and increased appetite.
The unexpected discovery of dental scientists: brush your teeth
immediately after eating they do not advise. The fact is that drinks
and food breaks acid-base balance, softens tooth enamel,
making teeth more vulnerable. And when immediately after a meal to work
brushing (after dinner and breakfast), you can injure tooth enamel.
Therefore, dentists are advised to brush your teeth:
- in the morning right after sleep
- in the evening no earlier than 30 minutes after dinner.
According to the degree of stiffness of the bristles allocate:
- sensitive or very mild;
- soft or soft;
- medium or medium;
- hard or hard;
- extra hard or super hard bristles.
Very soft bristles, usually used for children and for
adults with serious gingival and dental problems (damage
enamel, periodontitis). Soft bristles are optimal for bleeding.
gums or susceptibility to such, people with diabetes,
pregnant and lactating mothers.
Medium stiffness is a versatile stubble for humans.
with a healthy oral cavity.
Stiff bristles are suitable for tea, coffee, smokers and lovers.
with a predisposition to the formation of tartar and solid
plaque, but with healthy gums and enamel. Super tough bristles
designed for the care of removable and fixed prostheses
(bridges), and to clean the braces (see how to care for dentures
According to the structure of the setae
The bristles can be located at 1, 2, 3 or more levels, which
allows you to clean well hard-to-reach surfaces of teeth and
Especially recommended for individual locations
teeth. About the need for such a brush should ask
The bristles are made of artificial material – most often
nylon, specially processed. Around the perimeter or
in the middle of the head there may be rubber bristles and inserts for more
According to the mechanism: ordinary and electric
It’s hard to say which option is better: with proper cleaning both
Variants perfectly perform their function. Power brush effectively
removes plaque, making it faster than a mechanical model, but with
inept use can damage the enamel and gum mucosa.
It should be remembered that the working part of the electrobrush also wears out
and needs regular replacement. Do not use electric
brush for stomatitis, increased mobility and sensitivity
teeth, periodontal disease, after oral surgery, including removal
How to choose an electric toothbrush? This gadget should
purchase at a specialty store or pharmacy, be sure to
looking at documents confirming the quality and safety of the goods.
The battery must have sufficient power and charge quickly.
Together with the brush should be purchased and a set of interchangeable heads.
Ultrasonic electric is gaining popularity today.
a brush that more effectively removes plaque, destroys
microorganisms and improves blood circulation. But not all doctors
recommend such a gadget because the ultrasound, although it is considered
relatively safe for the body, definitely does not bring any
According to the length and shape of the working part
The brush should cover a segment of 2-2.5 teeth, i.e. is selected
individually. Choose your toothbrush 1 time and buy
just like that always. The head should have a round end, and
back side – should be made of soft rough
latex (for massaging the gums and cleansing the tongue).
The length and shape of the non-working part
The length of the handle should be comfortable to grip, and have a surface
non-slip coating. It is very important that the head and the handle of the brush
were connected movably.
As a rule, manufacturers of toothpastes produce toothbrushes.
Do not buy the most expensive options – they still have to
change at least 1 time in 3 months.
Toothpaste is needed to soften and cleanse tooth
plaque and also has a certain therapeutic and prophylactic
act. What toothpaste to choose, it is best to ask
личного a dentist. Withведенные рекомендации помогут понять
purpose of different types of toothpastes and their main
The composition of toothpastes is about the same as children’s pastes, and
includes (see the composition of the toothpaste, which one to choose):
- water in the dispersed phase of the suspension, which connects the rest
- abrasive components that are responsible for efficiency
detoxification: compounds of calcium, sodium, silicon,
chalk For sensitive teeth, abrasiveness should
make up 25 conventional units, for healthy teeth – up to 100 units
- binder components that determine the thickness of the paste: resin,
- foaming components;
- antiseptics that perform antibacterial function;
- fluorine compounds (not more than 150 mg per 100 g of paste) and minerals,
giving pasta anti-caring protection;
- moisturizers, preservatives, flavors and dyes.
The requirements for toothpastes for adults are less stringent because
the probability of swallowing pasta is minimal. Toothpaste should
choose not by beautiful stripes, but by its composition and purpose.
By appointment, toothpastes are classified by 3.
- Hygienic – used only for prophylactic purposes and
Suitable for people with absolutely healthy oral cavity.
- Therapeutic and prophylactic – this category includes
most popular pastes. Depending on the effect there are:
- products with dietary supplements and herbal ingredients;
- containing salts and minerals;
- whitening pastes;
- fluoride, protecting against caries;
- for the treatment and prevention of periodontal disease;
- для использования при повышенной чувствительности teeth;
- integrated action (most popular).
- Medical or professional toothpastes, these are pastes,
registered as medicinal products.
Toothpastes for hypersensitivity
- This condition may be an individual feature of the structure.
dental tissue, accompanied by some diseases (periodontitis,
abnormal abrasion of teeth, thin enamel), and also occurs
against the background of passion for sour food, frequent use of whitening
- Action – block the sensitivity of the enamel without violating it
structures. Used courses for 3-4 weeks with breaks of 2-3
of the month.
- Popular pastes: Lacalut Sensitiv, Sensodin, Oral-B Sensitiv,
Colgate Sensitiv et al.
To prevent caries and strengthen enamel
First of all, they are recommended for people with congenital weakness.
enamel of teeth, with early diagnosis of caries, in the presence of
cracks and chips on enamel. In regions where the natural content
Fluorine in the water and basic diet is low, also recommended
use such tools since childhood 4
of the year.
- The active composition of such pastes: mineralizing components (salts
phosphorus, calcium), fluorine compounds. Withменение их в период
the ripening of enamel up to 15 years helps to strengthen its
lattice: micro and macronutrients are actively absorbed
from saliva while cleaning.
- Contraindications: fluorosis.
- Popular pastes with therapeutic effect in
the relation of caries, fluorine-containing: Fluoride, Blend-a-med, Fluodent
With повышенной кровоточивости десен и склонности к ней
- In addition to diseases, this condition results in insufficient
hygiene and the presence of tartar.
- Pastes contain anti-inflammatory, decongestants, tannins
and soothing ingredients: extracts of chamomile, sage, green
tea, oak bark, vitamins and salts.
- Withменяют не менее 2 месяцев, не прекращая лечение даже после
marked improvement in gum condition.
- Popular pasta: Parodontaks, Forest, Parodontol, Chamomile,
Новая, Лакалют Актив and etc.
With заболеваниях парадонта и слизистой рта
- With грибковых и бактериальных поражениях слизистой рта и
gum should take special medicinal paste that
have anti-inflammatory and disinfectant effect,
promote healing of ulcers and erosions.
- Popular pastes: Parodontaks, Propolis (with mycoses),
Kalanchoe, New (with bacterial infection).
With bad breath (halitosis)
Of course, cleaning this problem alone will not solve –
one should look for its cause (caries, paradontosis, tonsillitis,
esophagus diverticulum, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, etc.,
see Causes of bad breath). This category of funds
all pasta with a high content of mint and menthol can be attributed.
They can have the prefix “Fresh breath”, “Super mint”, “Double
mint “,” cool “. In addition to toothpaste, to eliminate bad breath
teeth brushing techniques should be followed, as we will discuss below.
In case of darkening of enamel, tartar and copious bloom
- Smokers, lovers of coffee, tea and other coloring products
periodically must use special toothpaste with whitening
effect that contain soda, hydrogen peroxide, peroxide
carbamide and others. These funds can not be used with increased
tooth sensitivity and diseases of paradont, as well as
pregnancy and childhood.
- Examples: Crest 3D White, ROCS “Sensational Whitening”,
Colgate Whitening, Anti-Tabak and Coffee Rembrandt, etc.
Toothpastes with fluorosis and individual elevated
For this category of persons should use pasta, not
containing microelement fluorine, for example, from the ROCS series.
Toothpastes of complex action
- The most popular category of tools to solve
several problems at the same time, for example, protection against caries +
whitening, healthy gums + fresh breath, etc.
- Examples: Colgate Total, Blend-a-med Complete, etc.
- Duration of the procedure: 3-5 minutes;
- The amount of paste per 1 brush is half the head of a toothbrush.
- The inner, outer and chewing surfaces should be cleaned.
- The outer and inner tooth surfaces are cleaned by sweeping
movements of the toothbrush, starting from the gums and up to the chewing part
- Chewing surface cleaned circular and horizontal
- Gums are massaged with rotational movements with closed
- The tongue is gently cleaned with sweeping scrubbing motion when
using a special brush for the tongue or grooved surface of the tooth
brushes, without pressing on the root of the tongue, towards
- After brushing, use dental floss (floss):
it cleans those parts of the teeth and interdental spaces that were not
brushed villi brush. Flossing your teeth should be like this: a piece
the threads are wound on the index fingers and gently clean the areas
between the teeth translational movements, adjusting brushing large and
- After cleaning, rinse the oral cavity with water 2-3 times or
How to brush your teeth with an electric brush is described in the instructions for
This gadget should carefully examine it before
- brush must be charged;
- moisten the working part and apply a little toothpaste;
- start cleaning with the upper jaw, with gums;
- make circular movements, clearing several teeth at once;
- the brush will do the main work itself;
- about 30 seconds, half of one jaw is cleared;
- brush should go on all the chewing surfaces,
inside and outside teeth.
The total cleaning time with an electric brush is about 3-4 minutes.
It should be understood that with the help of toothpaste alone and
brushes it is impossible to solve the problem: carious cavities, periodontal disease,
Bacterial infections should be treated!
Автор: врач-гигиенист, эпидемиолог