Update: December 2018
Unpleasant smell from the mouth – with such a problem sooner or later
facing almost every person. It can deliver to people.
discomfort, a lot of uncomfortable moments, a person starts to be shy,
for example, when communicating with colleagues at work, during meetings and
important meetings, etc., while reducing self-esteem, confidence in
Sometimes a person himself may not notice this, then close people
or a doctor may recommend methods of self-diagnosis. In medicine
This problem is called halitosis:
- 80% of the reasons for an unpleasant smell are associated with problems in
- 10% with ENT diseases
- and only 5-10% with serious diseases of internal organs and
systems – liver, kidneys, organs of the gastrointestinal tract, organs
respiratory system, hormonal disruptions, metabolic disorders
substances autoimmune and oncological diseases.
Such a smell can only bother a person periodically,
occur only on an empty stomach in the morning or after eating, and maybe
constant, not dependent on food intake. Anyone who suffers like this
symptom characterizes it differently – bad, offensive, rotten,
horrible, rotten egg smell, sour, sweetish or heavy
If a вы сомневаетесь в наличии не свежего дыхания, существуют
The following ways to define it:
- Take a cotton pad or napkin and put it on the back third
tongue, then reach and smell
- After using a toothpick or dental floss, smell it.
In a minute
- Lick your wrist or spoon and after a few seconds
smell the skin or spoon
- Can использовать специальный карманный аппарат, который
determines the concentration of hydrogen sulfide during breathing – halimeter, with
scale 0-4 points
- At the dentist you can pass a special degree check.
breathless with hypersensitive
What diseases can be suspected by the smell from the mouth?
- The smell of ammonia – kidney disease, cystitis in women, nephrosis,
pyelonephritis, renal failure
- Dental problems – periodontitis, caries, various types
stomatitis in adults, stomatitis in children
- Dry mouth, burning sensation, sand in the eyes, difficulty with
swallowing food, photophobia combined with unpleasant odor
may be in Sjogren’s syndrome
- Sour bad breath – can be with a stomach ulcer, 12-duodenal
intestines, with gastritis with high acidity
- Diseases of ENT organs: sinusitis, sinusitis, chronic
tonsillitis, adenoids in a child, polyps in the nose, sore throat
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract – cholecystitis,
pancreatitis, intestinal dysbiosis, gastritis and others.
Rotten sweetish or smell of rotten meat, eggs
liver failure when the liver is overloaded, foods
decay with blood enters the lungs, causing unpleasant breathing.
In addition, there is yellowness of the skin and sclera,
dark urine, lightening feces. Sometimes this smell can be from
taking certain medications that affect the liver.
With healthy teeth, gums, nasopharynx, if present
putrid, smell of decomposition – this may be a sign of a diverticulum
or esophageal tumors. It comes from stagnation of food particles in
esophagus due to saccular bulging (diverticulum) or
tumors, over time, food rots, causing the rotten,
rotten smell from the mouth, may be accompanied by night regurgitation
food. It is necessary to consult a gastroenterologist and make an x-ray
esophagus with barium. Also putrid smell can be when
lung diseases – with lung abscess, tuberculosis, pneumonia,
purulent bronchitis, in these cases you should refer to
Sweet smell of ripe apples or acetone
may be a sign of diabetes. With diabetes, deprived
glucose cells create energy from fat, during the breakdown of which
Ketone bodies released into the lungs with blood are released. Therefore,
диабетиков может быть запах ацетона изо mouth
Types of halitosis
There are several types of halitosis depending on the objective
and subjective assessment of stale breath in humans:
- Halitophobia – the conviction of a person in the smell from his mouth,
however, this is not confirmed either by the dentist or by others.
- Истинный галитоз — когда и окружающие люди, и сам пациент
feels an unpleasant smell, it can be as physiological
feature of metabolism and a sign of the disease.
- Pseudo-halitosis – when a patient exaggerates a degree of staleness
breathing. Окружающие могут улавливать лишь слабое stale breath
only by close contact, when the person himself considers the smell
The reasons for the temporary appearance of stale breath
- When hormonal changes in women before menstruation
возможно возникновение несвежего breathing.
- Long-term use of certain drugs – hormonal
drugs, antihistamines (allergy pills),
antidepressants, sedatives, diuretics,
antibiotics, reduce the production of saliva and lead to
- With intense physical exertion, breathing through the mouth can
stale breath grow and intensify.
- Causes may be indirect, for example, stress, prolonged
nerve overloads – adversely affect the entire body and
development of dryness of the oral cavity including, which in turn
reflects on the freshness of breath.
- The use of certain foods – the most banal and
all known are onions and garlic, cabbage, as well as alcohol and
smoking. However, not everyone knows that the abuse of coffee, chicory,
carbonated drinks can also cause a fetid odor.
When is the cause in the mouth?
The cause of this symptom in a child should first
look in the mouth and eliminate ENT diseases, since children
rarely are serious chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidney and
pr., which can be causes of stale breath in adults.
Therefore, first of all, you should contact your dentist and
otolaryngologist. Dental reasons may be
- For diseases of the tongue, stomatitis of various etiologies
- With carious teeth, with tartar (periodontitis,
- With the development of the gingival opening during teething
wisdom in which food remains fall
- Diseases of the salivary glands
- An unpleasant smell is also formed due to the rare hygiene of the cavity
mouth Sometimes this is caused by difficulty in caring for your teeth.
atrophic processes in the gums when the necks are exposed
teeth and increases the sensitivity of the gums and teeth
- Orthopedic dentures, crowns and other structures in
oral cavity, as well as braces and plates in children can cause
Why does this smell often arise in the morning? Banal
the cause may not be regular dental and tongue hygiene. If a
a person does not brush his teeth at night, a raid accumulates in the mouth,
which microorganisms multiply in the process of life
produce hydrogen sulfide.
At night, reduced saliva production, lack of natural
purification enhances this process, so in the morning the smell of breath is always
not fresh. Even a simple mouthwash restores everything.
processes, and brushing your teeth removes plaque – and breathing becomes more
What to do?
First you need to establish the true cause of
smell, if it is gastrointestinal diseases, metabolic disorders,
diseases of ENT organs, lungs, oncological diseases,
gallbladder, kidney, liver, or dental problems –
treatment of unpleasant odor is the rehabilitation of foci of infection
or treatment of the underlying disease.
To reduce discomfort and discomfort as follows
- If a срочно нужно уменьшить неприятный аромат, можно пожевать
coffee beans, they neutralize it.
- Triclosan and Chlorhexidine – antiseptics that reduce
colonies of anaerobic bacteria by 80% with duration up to 3-12
hours You can use rinses, toothpastes, gels,
containing carbamide peroxide, triclosan, cetylpyridine. Can
also use diluted hydrogen peroxide for rinsing
or soda solution
- In addition to teeth, the tongue should also be thoroughly cleaned, for this
there are special scrapers or use studded lining
on the back of the toothbrush
- Herbal remedies, such as chamomile, alfalfa, dill,
yarrow, echinacea, and propolis with daily
mouth rinsing give a good effect, in the absence of allergy to these
to the means
- Essential oils such as sage, tea tree oil,
cloves reduce odor intensity by 1-2 hours
- Chewing gums have a refreshing effect, but to
сожалению на очень короткое время и гастроэнтерологи не
Recommend them to chew more than 10-15 minutes.