Update: October 2018
Phonophoresis (phonophoresis, sonophoresis) is a complex method.
therapeutic effects on the body, combining effects
ultrasonic vibrations and active medical or
The essence of the procedure is to apply on the skin
substances, similar to the usual gel for ultrasound,
and further processing of the area using an ultrasonic sensor. Such
combined effects provide more effective and deep
penetration of the substance into the tissue, and therefore more significant
Preparations for phonophoresis simultaneously act as a contact
medium dismount with it, while ultrasonic waves increase
activity of funds, the speed of their penetration into cells,
increase the period of active action and minimize spillover
The technique is mainly used for the treatment of adults.
Ultrafonoforez children prescribed for the treatment of diseases
ENT organs, enuresis, bronchial asthma, diseases
peripheral nervous system. Phonophoresis is carried out only
out of aggravation of diseases.
Mechanism of action
The active substance enters the body through the excretory ducts
sebaceous and sweat glands, as well as through the transcellular and
intercellular pathways. Unlike electrophoresis, with ultrasound
method of administration fails to accumulate medicinal substances in the skin
in significant concentration, and they are short-lived. But, as a result
combinations of therapeutic properties of the drug and therapeutic effects
ultrasonic waves (thermal, mechanical and chemical)
potentiation of effects occurs, and the result is
Under the action of ultrasound, the permeability of cell membranes
greatly enhanced. Also increases electrical activity
cells, accelerated enzymatic processes and oxygen saturation
tissues. There is an increase in the level of nucleic acids in
- In small doses, ultrasound waves stimulate the development of the necessary
- In large doses – inhibit unwanted reactions, for example,
inflammatory, pain impulse.
- The cosmetic effect of the procedure is comparable to the lifting:
- skin trophicity improves
- subcutaneous connective and muscle tissue toned
- skin turgor improves.
The active substance in the form of a cream, emulsion, ointment or solution
mixes with the contact medium, but it is very important that the base
the basis did not change the pharmacotherapeutic activity and structure
medication. The basis can be lanolin, glycerin, oil
vaseline or vegetable.
Unfortunately, the spectrum of active substances that can be entered
using ultrasound, limited. Most often this way
- aloe vera extract is a natural biostimulant shown in
most inflammatory diseases, especially chronic and
- interferon is an important factor in antiviral immunity,
increases the resistance of cells to toxins of bacteria and viruses,
stimulating the immunological activity of the tonsils.
Phonophoresis of the tonsils with interferon is indicated for chronic
tonsillitis in the season of ARVI;
- Prednisone Ointment – a hormonal agent used for
treatment of neurodermatitis, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis. Suppresses
synthesis of biologically active substances that cause allergies;
- hydrocortisone – a hormonal agent that activates the reserves
body and reducing the recovery time, as well as reducing
severity of inflammation. Phonophoresis with hydrocortisone is indicated at
diseases of ENT organs, osteochondrosis. Used in cosmetology
for smoothing fine wrinkles. Phonophoresis of the joint with hormone
allows you to quickly relieve pain and swelling;
- lidaza – the enzyme splitting collagen fibers in cicatricial
tissue. Phonophoresis of lidaza is effective in postoperative scars,
rheumatoid arthritis, after injury;
- Fermekol – a collagenolytic enzyme that destroys a modified
scar tissue. Used to treat striae;
Special mono or multi component components are also used.
cosmetic gels and phytoextracts.
The active substance is only 1-3% of the volume
contact environment. The activity of the particles of a substance depends on the degree
dispersion and structure: the more complicated it is, the smaller the foretic
подвижность и проникновение в tissue.
Features of the procedure
The strength and depth of the ultrasound during the procedure depends on the dose and
wave frequency. Dose (intensity) wave in physiotherapy
Medical devices are dosed in W / cm2, and in devices
for cosmetic procedures – in arbitrary units.
Cosmetology devices intended for correction
skin problems, have 3 levels of intensity, for the body – 10
levels. When choosing the intensity, both the physician and the cosmetologist should
focus on the problem to be solved, as well as
patient sensations that must be in the comfort zone and
feel like a light pleasant warmth. Excess Level
intensity can lead to skin burn.
The generation of ultrasonic waves can take place in 2 modes:
- постоянном (0,5-2,0 Вт/см2);
- импульсном (0,1-3 Вт/см2).
Methods of phonophoresis are selected depending on the problem that
- Impulse wave is applied to achieve non-thermal
эффектов, подходит для:
- чувствительной кожи
- can be used in acute pain syndrome
- treatment of pustular, inflammatory diseases, rosacea
- internal diseases requiring sparing treatment
- children therapy and others.
- Permanent wave is indicated for diseases from the testimony outside
- correction of cicatricial changes on the body and face
- dark circles under the eyes
- hematoma treatment
- in the recovery period after skin diseases.
- Application place:
- Eye area – 5-10 min.
- Face – 15 min.
- Abdomen 12-15 min.
- Body 20-30 min.
Benefits of phonophoresis
- Painless and safe (assuming proper
the use of phonophoresis and exposure);
- Creating an active concentration of drugs at the site of the procedure;
- An increase in the permeability of the skin, creating
favorable environment for the active penetration of drugs;
- Activation of blood supply and lymphatic drainage;
- The implementation of the effect of micromassage;
- Acceleration of cell regeneration;
- Reduction of inflammation and activation of collagen formation;
- Increased leukocyte activity;
- Reducing inflammation and pain;
- No negative impact on other organs;
- A noticeable effect after 2-3 procedures.
Indications and Contraindications
Ultrasonic phonophoresis is indicated in the following cases:
- acute pathology of the joints;
- chronic pathologies of the joints and musculoskeletal system:
arthritis, arthrosis, rheumatism, osteochondrosis, sciatica, scoliosis,
clubfoot, heel spurs, etc .;
- neuritis, neurosis, neuralgia and other diseases of the nervous
- ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract (without exacerbation), gastropathy,
chronic constipation, cholecystitis;
- overweight or dystrophy;
- violations of lymph and blood circulation, metabolism;
- ENT-organ pathologies, especially chronic tonsillitis;
- chronic diseases of the uterus, ovarian hypofunction;
- diseases of the eye, damage to the retina and optic nerve.
Ultrafonoforez in cosmetology is used to correct:
- stretch marks;
- skin aging (wrinkles, age-related ptosis, puffiness);
- inflammatory skin diseases (not purulent);
- гиперпигментации и dark circles under the eyes;
- scars and cicatrices, as well as cicatricial-adhesive processes.
Often combined with paraffin therapy, mesotherapy, massage,
wraps – procedures enhance the effectiveness of each other.
Contraindications to phonophoresis:
- individual hypersensitivity reaction to ultrasound waves or
drugs used for the procedure;
- purulent skin diseases;
- oncological diseases;
- endocrine gland diseases;
- pregnancy, lactation;
- pulmonary tuberculosis;
- 3 months after maxillofacial operations, chemical
- neuralgia or paralysis of the facial nerve.
With proper procedure, no side effects
should not be. When reactions occur during individual
intolerance procedure is canceled.
How is the procedure
No prior preparation before treatment.
ultraphonophoresis is not necessary. A doctor or cosmetologist treats the skin
antiseptic, then causes the medicinal composition and affects
area ultrasonic device with a frequency of 800-3000 kHz.
During the session, the doctor who performs phonophoresis performs
light movements on the problem area, changes power
ultrasonic wave that ensures the penetration of medicinal
drugs at different depths. The lower the ultrasound frequency
waves, the deeper the drug penetrates the skin and the faster it gets into
lymph flow. During exposure can be felt warm and light.
вибрационное воздействие, однако жжения и боли should not be.
- The standard course is assigned 10-15 procedures.
- The exposure time is 3-15 minutes.
- After the procedure, increased permeability of the skin
2-3 hours remain, so the medicine can not be washed off and
leave on the skin for greater therapeutic effect.
Фонофорез в домашних conditions чаще всего проводится в
cosmetic purposes with the help of special devices (Gezatone,
Super Lifting m355). Using the devices is very convenient, just–
procedures can be conducted by courses (after 3 months), which allows
achieve the best aesthetic result. However abused
this method is impossible, without prescription / control of efficiency by the doctor
beautician use the device is not recommended.
Автор: врач-гигиенист, эпидемиолог