- Causes of dehydration in infants
- Symptoms of dehydration in infants
- Treatment for dehydration in infants
- Prevention of dehydration in infants
Dehydration (dehydration) is a condition of fluid deficiency in body, when it comes in much smaller quantities, what stands out. As a result, the water-salt balance is disturbed, blood volume decreases, its composition changes, which provokes hemodynamic disturbances.
Dehydration is especially dangerous for babies because that is developing very fast and fraught with serious the consequences. That is why it is so important to be able to determine signs of dehydration of the baby.
Causes of dehydration in infants
Most often, dehydration occurs in children under 1 years for several reasons:
- Unbalanced drinking regimen. Baby can’t say about thirsty, and inexperienced parents just don’t know about signs of dehydration in the baby.
- Overheat. The baby’s heat transfer process is still imperfect, therefore it is very easy to overheat. Fluid is lost in this case along with sweat and breathing.
- Diseases with a rise in body temperature. The baby is losing water but may refuse to drink due to sore throat, replenishment fluid volumes do not occur.
- Infectious diseases accompanied by vomiting and / or diarrhea. The baby in this case loses a large amount of fluid, which does not have time to recover.
- Physiological features. Compared to the body in an adult, in infants, fluid loss occurs more intense. This is due to the fact that cell permeability the baby’s membranes are much higher, water evaporates faster. Organism the baby is approximately 80% water, while an adult – by 60%.
Symptoms of dehydration in infants
Infant dehydration is easy to determine – it is enough to have an idea of its main features. The severity of symptoms of dehydration can also be judged on its severity:
- A mild degree is characterized by a loss of 4-5% of body weight. The signs of dehydration are as follows: urination is less common, than usual; bright color and pungent smell of urine; thirst about which baby reports crying, restless, smacking lips, licking lips.
- Medium grade characterized by a loss of 6-9% of body weight and the following symptoms: the frequency and volume of urination decreases; urine is intense dark color and pungent odor; pulse and palpitations become more frequent; at no tears crying; shortness of breath appears; fontanel slightly sinks.
- Severe degree in which weight loss is more than 9%, has the following symptoms: no urination; strong slow or fast heart rate; shallow breathing slow motion; dry mucous membranes; tongue dry, sticky; sunken eyes and fontanel; cold limbs; general state of lethargy and lethargy.
The doctor can accurately diagnose the degree of dehydration. based on the results of the analyzes, but understand that the baby dehydration can parents, knowing its main Symptoms. Be sure to ask why your child drinks a lot. water.
What are the first signs that a child is overheating in the sun, read here.
Treatment for dehydration in infants
The choice of treatment for dehydration in infants depends on from the degree of its severity. With a mild degree, it is enough to drink the baby water (preferably pure water, not sweetened, not juices, not compotes) to normalize.
With moderate dehydration, which usually occurs due to infection and is accompanied by diarrhea or vomiting; plain water is inefficient – electrolytic is required here mixtures (Regidron, Electrolyte) or even infusion therapy (intravenous administration of solutions) to supplement the fluid and restoration of water-salt balance.
Severe dehydration requires treatment only in a hospital under round-the-clock supervision of doctors.
The more severe the degree of the disease, the more difficult and longer the treatment, that is why it is so important to be able to determine in time dehydration.
It is especially worth noting that dehydration with diarrhea and / or vomiting more than 5 times a day develops quite quickly and by drinking plain water can not cope here.
In this case, you must immediately start to drink the baby electrolytic mixtures (in the absence of a pharmacy mixture, it can prepare yourself – dilute in half a liter of water in half teaspoon of table salt and baking soda and 4 tablespoons Sahara).
It is necessary to thaw off the baby correctly – give liquid little by little, but often, on the recommendation of doctors – 5 ml every five minutes. It is convenient to drink the baby from a special syringe dispenser or use just a syringe without a needle. Subject to data recommendations there are chances to do without the need for stationary treatment.
Prevention of dehydration in infants
In order not to admit dehydration in the baby, just follow following rules:
- Enough to drink. It’s not necessary to make the baby drink, but He needs to offer water constantly. If the baby on the chest when feeding, then dosing with water is optional. With artificial and mixed feeding is necessary to solder. Water should be pure, bottled or boiled, unsweetened;
- Do not overheat. Do not overly confuse the baby, overheating for a baby is more dangerous than hypothermia. Summer is not in the sun during the time of his most activity, be sure to often offer baby water;
- Monitor urination. Urine should be light, almost colorless. You need to be alert if the baby does not urinate for 5 hours and more if urination is absent after sleep, and also if urine of bright color, with a pungent odor.
With an increase in temperature, malaise of the baby, it is better to refuse from diapers in order to have an idea of the nature urination. Be sure to find out how to collect urine from baby.
Knowledge of signs of dehydration help in time to recognize this condition and accept the necessary measures, thereby minimizing possible adverse effects.