Update: October 2018
Foot fungus is a skin disease of the feet that occurs when
reproduction in the epidermis of some species of fungi. More often
fungal foot infections are accompanied by nail mycosis –
onychomycosis. Previously it was thought that this disease is the most
Elderly people with weakened body defenses are exposed,
however, children today are also at risk of developing
foot fungus, like adults.
Causes of fungus on the feet
Infection with fungal diseases is quite easy,
and the immune system of the younger generation is very
weakened, and the risk of mycoses no longer has such
age restrictions, as previously thought. In the growing children
the body regenerates skin cells quickly enough
the fungus does not have time to grow rapidly, so in time
started adequate treatment in children becomes more
More than 50% of the elderly population suffers from one type or another.
fungal infections of the feet, nails, etc., and mycoses therapy in
weakened people with already existing chronic diseases
becomes more durable and less effective.
The most frequent causative agents of foot fungus and nails are
- Трихофитон ментагрофитес Trichophyton
Mentagrophytes – athlete arises during its reproduction
- Трихофитон рубрум Trichophyton Rubrum —
провоцирует развитие руброфитии feet.
- Трихофитон интердигитале Trichophyton
interdigitale – affects the skin between the fingers, in the future
разрастаясь на кожу всей feet.
- Кандида албиканс Candida albicans —
Primary infection with fungal diseases often occurs.
not in public places – beaches, swimming pools, sports clubs, but
in family, at home. Usually if any member of the family has a fungus
standing or arms, then the probability of infection of the rest of the household
is very high, since the smallest is enough for infection
pieces of skin affected by the fungus so that the pathogen remains on
the skin of a healthy person. But will the fungus multiply
directly depends on the human immune system, with good health
the immune system will not give the fungus an impetus for development. Occurrence
The following provoking fungal diseases of the feet contribute to
Read also on the topic:
- Antifungal preparations for the feet and nails
- Antifungal drugs in pills
- Irunin from nail fungus
- Means against the fungus of toenails: drugs, pills,
- Some chronic diseases – diabetes, varicose veins.
varicose veins, other vascular diseases of the legs, hyperdrosis
(increased sweating), flatfoot, vitamin deficiency, obesity
- The fungus multiplies easily with various foot injuries,
- People with weakened immunity, with a long reception
corticosteroids, elderly people, HIV-infected
- With long-term wearing of poor-quality shoes, sneakers, with
frequent wet feet in shoes.
- If the skin of the feet often appear sores, erosion, calluses.
Signs of Foot Fungus
The symptoms of foot fungus begin to manifest when on the skin.
small scales begin to appear, i.e. different types of peeling, from
shallow to coarsely lamellar. With the existing
variety of fungi that are pathogens of the fungus,
signs of these mycoses, as it turns out in practice, are the same:
- Initially, the disease is almost asymptomatic, as
As a rule, the interdigital folds are first affected, most often between
third and fourth finger.
- Then the fungal growths capture the sides of the feet, and
further extend to the ankles, and other areas of the feet
- The skin during a foot fungus thickens, cracks, glitters
- Dry skin is accompanied by intense itching, redness,
inflammation of the affected skin
- Patients experience pain and burning in the feet.
- Over time, bubbles form on the skin, at the opening of which
soften and get wet areas of the affected skin.
What does a foot fungus look like?
Dermatologists distinguish several forms of foot mycoses,
This classification is very conditional, since manifestations of this
diseases are very diverse and there are no absolutely identical
- Сквамозная форма микоза стопы – она носит
obliterated nature because significant pain while
no, peeling appears between the toes, on the heel, on the side
- Гиперкератотическая стадия – при этой
skin forms of foot begin to thicken, skin increases
the pattern appears peeling muciform, the skin becomes
infiltrated. Horny skin gradually begins to crack,
itch, the patient has pain when walking,
discomfort, dryness, tightness of the skin.
- Интертригинозная степень – прогрессирование
fungal infection is manifested by a deeper lesion in
folds, the skin becomes pink in color, cracks,
- Дисгидротическая форма – когда на коже
bubbles begin to occur, which after opening form
eroded and the skin starts exfoliate in layers. With such a bright
process, plus all the listed symptoms of fungal infection
stop may be added and an increase in body temperature.
Автор: Мельникова Светлана Георгиевна врач-дерматолог