- The difference between real constipation and “physiological” delays stool
- Causes of constipation in infants – natural
- Causes of hard stool in infants artificial or mixed feeding
- Methods of non-drug treatment of hard stool in babies
- The consequences of untreated hard stool in infants
Children’s constipation, along with allergies and fever, are among the most frightening and stressful factors for young parents.
No one is able to indifferently watch how pushing and crying reddened child. Moreover, young mothers themselves intimidate and relatives thoughts of indispensable intoxication of the body, hernia and other troubles. In this article we will consider:
- The difference between real constipation from the so-called “physiological” stool delays;
- Causes of hard stool in infants who are 100% m natural feeding;
- Causes of hard stools in “artificial” or infants, being on mixed feeding;
- Natural and drug treatments for solid a chair;
- The consequences of untreated constipation in infants.
The difference between real constipation and “physiological” delays stool
Speaking about babies of the first month of life, it is necessary first of all abstract from stereotypes of adults associated with a matter of chair. If it’s normal for an adult to have one chair once a day, in infants this norm is stretched from once to 2-3 days to 6 times a day.
Both indicators are very arbitrary, because the child’s body is still adapts to new conditions of life, trying everything vital functions, including emptying the thick intestines.
Therefore, almost all infants, even natural scientists, at least once in the first year, usually at the age of 1 month, observed as there would be a “malfunction” in the work of the intestines, which scares mothers very much.
This is a completely natural physiological delay. Reason for her lies in the fact that at this age the baby begins respond to involuntary contractions of the intestinal walls that occur under pressure of feces.
Now the baby is gradually learning to independently manage sphincter muscle contraction: compress and decompress. Both functions necessary for a person to live, and try to intervene as little as possible learning.
Therefore, it’s dangerous to start a “treatment” of physiological delays, mistaken for constipation. Moms want a calm to realize that the baby’s intestines are regularly emptied, and she is ready to go even for the undesirable use of glycerin candles and enemas – just not to worry.
Not hurry up. A quick effect can be achieved, but you intervene in the natural course of the processes that the child teaches nature itself, and only push the line when it can correctly and almost unconsciously control bowel function.
By itself, a delay in the stool of a baby in the first six months of life does not mean constipation, and does not require intervention. For diagnosis “hard stool”, or “constipation” requires at least one of following signs:
- The child’s stool occurs at intervals of three to seven days;
- The child himself is clearly suffering: crying, groaning, banging his legs, pushes, blushes;
- Stool delays are accompanied by a lack of exit gases
- The abdomen is tense, as if inflated, when tapped it reminds drum;
- The stool itself is hard, dark, especially if it comes out balls, there is clearly no liquid in it, or in it hard blotches or blood;
- The area of the anus is very reddened from the attempts, and even appear cracks or hemorrhoids exit (this refers to the consequences of not cured constipation);
- The chair also has a sharp unpleasant odor when exiting, before characteristic;
- The child’s appetite apparently disappears (because the digestive tract full of non-exhaust gases).
Causes of constipation in infants – natural
Although usually constipation is almost an integral consequence artificial feeding, natural scientists also sometimes suffer. Causes of constipation in infants who are 100% breastfeeding, there are errors in the nutrition of mothers:
- Excessive use of iron-containing products;
- Lack of fluid, snacks, dry food;
- Eating caffeine-containing foods (caffeine leads to increased urination, and this causes dehydration) high gas products (elements causing gases from the mother are transmitted with milk and the baby and also lead to gas obstruction, and this in turn causes first stool delays, and then real constipation);
- Hypothermia, especially in the legs and abdomen, which also leads to the formation of gases with pain and even colic;
- The use of preparations containing iron, or bifido additives;
- Lack of the required amount of fiber in the diet;
- Inadequate drinking;
- Stressful or depressive state of mom, which can lead to a hard chair in her own, and the same will suffer child.
All of the above errors are easy to correct and to achieve the return of normal stool in the baby throughout one day. Sometimes it’s enough for mom to just drink compote from dried fruit or add a little bran to morning porridge to the problem was solved. If the diet of a nursing mother is drawn up right, neither her nor her baby has problems with constipation must.
Usually, especially in the early months, natural babies empty the intestines involuntarily during feeding or immediately after. This is quite naturally accompanied by the release of jeeps. The stool is liquid, yellowish in color and has no unpleasant odor. So he will remain until the beginning of artificial feeding, for except in cases of dysbiosis.
Causes of hard stool in infants artificial or mixed feeding
If mothers are artificial and feel freer than nursing mothers then it is in the matter of baby stool first envy the last. Not one sleepless night or a hectic day they will have to survive because of the suffering of their child from constipation.
Adapted mixtures, as crumbs heavier for the stomach, are the main cause of constipation. And if you fail to competently adjust the process of feeding, suffering and child and mother may last for many months.
Problem is getting a little easier from 3-5 months when the baby’s diet is already present solid lure and stool can be controlled with fruit and berry compotes and vegetable soups, as well as additions vegetable oil.
If before the start of feeding you could not stand the crumbs on own milk, you’ll have to be patient, because nothing, except milk formula, water and fennel tea, it should not be given as at least 3 months. The cause of constipation in a baby can be:
- Do not digest too heavy a mixture;
- The use of the mixture is not by age;
- Improper preparation of the mixture (when liquids not enough);
- If the mother does not finish the baby with water or fennel tea after each feeding;
- Use of iron or bifido supplements;
- Hypothermia in the abdomen (during or after swimming), which leads to gaziki, and they lead to constipation – corks.
Please note that cheaper milk formulas have and heavier structure, which is clearly visible even by eye. At that while lighter and more expensive mixtures resemble snow-white dust colors.
The reason for not digesting is in cow’s milk protein, which much heavier than human milk protein (after all, cow’s milk intended for the body of the calf, which is already at birth in many times harder and baby development).
Methods of non-drug treatment of hard stool in babies
Hard stool problem if diagnosis is confirmed by your doctor or are you experienced mom enough to make decisions On their own, it is always better to decide without medication.
And even suppositories and enemas should be left in an emergency. What already It was said, too early without letting the child empty intestines, we will only exacerbate the problem.
If the delay the stool for more than 3 days and the baby is clearly restless, crying, pushing, refuses food, then try one of the simple ways help him:
- Before each feeding, lay the baby on the tummy for 5-10 minutes
- Avoid prolonged crying before and during feeding, as during crying, the child swallows a lot of air, which leads to gas formation;
- Regularly massage the tummy before meals and when the baby is tormented gaziki or the inability to empty: full palm, on clockwise, with the addition of warmed olive oil;
- Learn simple baby gymnastics and do it before each feeding, alternating with massage and a warm bath (times – gymnastics, times – bath, times – massage);
- Up to six months, especially in the first three months and in cold weather, lightly tighten the baby’s tummy with a cotton or wool dressing – this will help a better exit of gases that interfere with timely bowel movement;
- If the problem of hard stools regularly torment the child, then use the dressing regularly (every time you change your diaper or linen, massage with warm olive oil immediately tighten the tummy with a belt (but do not pull!);
- Do a light massage of the anus of the baby using olive oil;
- Keep a special rubber vent on hand a straw.
If all the previous measures do not help, grease its end with Vaseline or oil and carefully enter half a centimeter into the anal baby hole. You can hear the gas escaping. If this happened, feces will come out very soon.
- You can grease the tip of a sanitary stick or thermometer, carefully insert into the anus and twist slightly (this should stimulate the intestinal muscles);
- If nothing helps, try a special nursery glycerin candle, the smallest amount;
- At the very last moment, you can resort to an enema.
By the way, it is not necessary to wait three days. If the child has discomfort already on the 2nd day, you should not pull, because the longer, the more fecal masses will be voluminous and the heavier the crumb from them get rid of. If he is calm, the appetite is normal, especially gas come out, you can wait until the end of the 3rd day. Maybe this physiological delay.
Separately, it must be said about the baby who is already getting hard lure. In this case, various fruit and fiber-rich mashed potatoes.
However, avoid legumes, or excessive amounts of potatoes, white cabbage, as they cause gas. Also not it is advisable to use juices as a remedy for constipation for babies up to a year. Find out even more how to get rid of constipation in baby.
Have you been advised a folk recipe? Read how to cook dill water.
We recommend that you review the material on what to do with constipation month old baby. Fresh juices create incredible stress for pancreas of an unprepared organism. Much better various fruit and berry compotes will help the problem, the main thing is cook with the gradual addition of components, and do not sweeten otherwise fructose.
The consequences of untreated hard stool in infants
Instead of a conclusion, I want to add about the consequences of an untreated constipation or vice versa – excessive intervention in cases physiological delays, which can lead to real and very severe constipation. Possible consequences are:
- Transition of temporary constipation to chronic;
- Internal and external anal fissures;
- Their bleeding;
- Umbilical hernia due to constant attempts and crying.
In all these cases, without medical and even surgical intervention is no longer enough therefore, it is so important to prevent the development of such situations, and timely response to the problem of hard stools. At the same time, it’s important not to create it yourself redundant anxiety about stool delays and excessive stimulation.