Many newly mummies, finding on the back of their head a newborn scattering of red spots that fall into completely unnecessary panic.
More experienced mothers and grandmothers on the contrary – relate to this completely calm, as a harmless and ubiquitous phenomenon. what what to do if the nape of the baby has red spots?
What is the name of this disease? And is it a disease at all? On All these questions will be answered by this article.
According to statistics, 40-50% of newborns can “boast” redness of the skin on the back of the head in the form of numerous spots or one big spot. There is a beautiful legend that these specks – traces from the beak of a stork that the baby brought.
Pragmatic doctors appropriated the so-called “stork bites” a less romantic name – telangiectasia, Unna’s nevus or birth spots. They are completely safe for the baby’s health, and their characteristic features are:
- Color is red or pink;
- Flat surface – that is, the skin is pigmented, but the spots non-convex and touch not defined;
- Reducing the size and intensity of staining stains with time;
- “Stork bites” in a one-year or two-year-old baby may to be completely invisible, but only appear when the baby screams and crying.
Parents should know that red spots on the back of the head are not always harmless “stork bites”. It can be varieties various skin formations. The table shows the main signs by which you can distinguish “normal” red spots on nape of those requiring compulsory consultation with a doctor.
|Skin name||Color||Dimensions and shape||Dynamics||Forecast|
|Nevus Unna or “Stork Bite” or birthmark||Red||May be different, non-convex with jagged edges||Eat at birth, does not increase over time||Favorable, absorbable over time|
|Hematoma||Red or cyanotic||It is rarely on the back of the head, accompanied by edema||Appears during childbirth, passes after a few days||Favorable|
|Hemangioma||Crimson, Blue, Red||Nodular formation that rises above the surface skin||Appear immediately after birth, may increase||Requires medical advice|
|Angio dysplasia||From light pink to crimson||Large flat spots||Eat at birth, may darken and increase in sizes||Requires medical advice|
Birth spots are located on the skin in those places that are larger total squeezed during childbirth. It leads to their appearance mechanical effect of the bones of the maternal pelvis on delicate skin baby. As a result, small skin capillaries in these places deform, which leads to the formation of “stork bites.”
A risk factor for their occurrence is oxygen starvation. fetus during childbirth, as then the vessels become more brittle and more often deformed. Some doctors tend to bind the appearance of birth patches with hereditary predisposition. Why sometimes a small red rash on the baby’s body.
Tips for parents: How to identify and treat prickly heat in infants.
Detailed instructions on how to get rid of a crust on the head in infants.
In most cases, no treatment is required at all. FROM age, red spots on the back of the head fade and become almost imperceptible.
In 50% of children they pass independently by 3 years. The only thing, what is fraught with “stork bites” – aesthetic discomfort. In this case they can be removed with a laser. Algorithm of actions of parents when detecting red spots on nape of the baby:
- It is necessary to remember when red spots appeared: in the most harmless cases they are already at birth.
- Carry out an external examination of the spots: if they protrude above the skin, large sizes or cause concern to the baby (itching) – it is necessary seek medical advice immediately.
- In case the spots do not protrude above the surface of the skin and do not cause any inconvenience – just pay attention to them your pediatrician at a routine checkup. The doctor will confirm their complete harmlessness.
- If the red spots on the back of the head of the baby change over time color (darken), increase in size – necessary consult a doctor.