- Diagnosis and treatment
Almost every parent, especially a mother with a huge with pleasure and love he observes the development of his child, tracking the slightest changes, sensitively reacting to any manifestations life of the baby. One of the common enough Deviations is the different size of the pupils in infants.
The young mother, paying attention to this, is worriedly wondering. questions: Why is this happening? Is it dangerous for health and child’s life? Will this effect pass or is it required targeted treatment? Or is it incurable and will remain for the whole a life?
The scientific definition of this phenomenon is anisocoria. This diagnosis is put in case of detection of differences in pupil sizes more than one millimeter in any light. Anything less than these boundaries – normal, so do not worry too much. The child may already to be born with different sizes of pupils or to acquire this effect already after birth. The main causes of anisocoria in Infants are as follows:
- Heredity. If one of the oldest family members is the father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, uncle, aunt and so on – have pupils different sizes, your child’s anisocoria is a simple genetic heredity. Such deviations from the norm do not interfere at all normal full life.
- Lack of function of the muscles of the iris. When changing external pupils of a healthy child react quickly: in bright narrow in light, decreasing the luminous flux, and expand in the dark. Anisocoria may result from abnormal constriction muscles of one of the eyes – first, the pupil narrows in synchronism with the second, but then quickly the muscle relaxes and the pupil expands.
- Taking medication. Some medicines, especially eye drops lead to the same effect: iris muscles relax by temporarily disabling the pupil response light level. Sometimes this phenomenon occurs unevenly, causing apparent anisocoria. Another possible reason is poisoning by some varieties of poisons.
- Injury Pupils of different sizes in infants may be due to head injury, fall or eye injury. Manifestation is also possible. anisocoria due to birth injury of the cervical spine.
- Pressing the oculomotor nerve. This may result in both to diplopia, ptosis, strabismus, and to an increase in damaged side of the size of the pupil. The oculomotor nerve can be squeezed for the following reasons: due to the development of aneurysm or as a result increase intracranial pressure. Also to a similar effect may lead infection of the ciliary ganglion with herpes zoster and other diseases.
- In the worst case, the sudden appearance of anisocoria may indicate serious diseases and disorders in the body baby: brain hemorrhage, fast-growing brain tumor brain, carotid artery thrombosis, encephalitis, meningitis and others.
Diagnosis and treatment
If you suddenly find significant differences in size or in pupil shape, abnormal reaction to light, should immediately contact your supervising pediatrician who may prescribe a full examination, including:
- computed tomography;
- blood test (clinical);
- spinal cord puncture;
- X-ray of the cervical spine, head and other events.
Because anisocoria, not inherited, but acquired after the birth of a baby, is a symptom of others diseases or disorders in the body of the baby, its treatment carried out depending on the diagnosis. What to take if the child has rotten eyes.
Learn from our publication how to correct strabismus a child.
Interesting material on what to do with conjunctivitis in a child.
You should not be skeptical of such a small symptom. is he can be quite harmless and pass over time or stay on all life, without posing a threat to health and not being a cause any inconvenience. It is better to play it safe by contacting specialist, so as not to miss the beginning of the development of serious diseases when pupils of different sizes are found in baby.