Update: October 2018
Paraffin therapy procedure is
физиотерапевтический метод лечения, применяется для кожи
scalp, face, neck, body and almost any part
body, and is carried out using liquid paraffin, which
applied on layers, appliqués or baths.
Like other physiotherapy techniques, paraffin therapy
has its own indications and contraindications
to stick with.
What is paraffin and its effect?
This is a refined product that is a mixture
acyclic hydrocarbons from the saturated series. Its main
- high heat capacity;
- crystalline structure;
- has no taste or smell;
- does not dissolve in alcohol and water;
- soluble in organic solvents;
- in liquid form mixes well with fats.
The benefits of a procedure called paraffin therapy is
its mechanical and thermal effects. When cooling the substance
loses up to 10% of volume, gains elasticity and provides compression
on the fabric, which contributes to the deep penetration of heat into the fabric,
reduce the lumen of the superficial vessels and accelerate blood flow and
lymph flow that carries toxins. The substance heats the skin approximately
1.5 degrees, which increases the intercellular
space, softening of the superficial keratinized skin layer,
pore opening and active perspiration. But paraffin isolates the skin,
therefore, the moisture does not evaporate, which means that the water balance is not disturbed
For treatment, use white purified medical paraffin without
impurities, having a melting point of + 42-46 ° C. To liquid
states are adjusted in a water bath, heating to + 65-100 ° C.
It is permissible to reuse it if it is sterilized:
the substance is heated to +120 ° C and maintained at a given t of the order of
10-15 min. To improve the plasticity of the material each time to mass
add 10-15% fresh paraffin.
Thus, procedures using cosmetic
- expansion of the capillary wall;
- increased metabolism at the local level;
- ускорению выведения продуктов обмена из skin.
All this causes stimulating, absorbing and
anti-inflammatory effect of a procedure that is successful
used in the complex therapy of a number of diseases, in
as an independent therapeutic and prophylactic method.
A pleasant procedure helps to restore damage,
improve joint performance and increase tissue speed
regeneration. Paraffin therapy at home is very popular,
which is not inferior in performance salon procedures
subject to compliance with the rules of application.
In cosmetology, paraffin is also used as a thickener for
- Normalization of water balance;
- Moisturizing and softening the skin;
- Pore cleansing;
- Elimination of edema;
- Lifting effect and elimination of fine wrinkles;
- Food nail plate;
- Removal of metabolic products from the body;
- Restoration and healing of damaged tissues;
- Reduction of inflammation and pain in pathologies
Indications for paraffin therapy
Paraffin is used for the following diseases:
- diseases of the spine and joints occurring with pain
- salt deposits;
- psoriasis, especially in the presence of old cornified
- lichen planus with hyperkeratosis;
- alopecia areata;
- limited infiltrated neurodermatitis plaques as well
- scleroderma (limited forms);
- conglobate acne;
- thermal burns, wounds, ulcers at the stage of healing.
- swelling of the face;
- post acne;
- fading, wrinkled skin;
- acne, greasy congestion;
- double chin;
- paraffin hand therapy is indicated for flaky, dry and
wrinkled skin, microcracks, brittle nails, as well as
spring and winter periods;
- rough and dry skin of the feet, cracks, calluses and corns, puffiness
Contraindications to paraffin therapy
- Individual intolerance;
- Acute inflammatory processes;
- Exacerbations of chronic diseases;
- Oncological diseases;
- Hypertension stage 2-3;
- Varicose veins;
- Injuries and skin lesions in the area of the procedure;
- Pustular skin lesions, rash, acute inflammation, open
- Acute eczema;
- Hypertrichosis in women;
- Teleangiectasia pronounced.
Procedures last 30-60 minutes, every other day or daily, in a course
12-20 procedures. After therapy should rest at least 30-40
The method of applying the active substance depends on the area
body, which should be exposed. On small and
rough areas it is better to use layering. Baths most
comfortable for limbs. Applications are suitable for paraffin waxing.
on flat surfaces. Spraying a mixture of paraffin and oil
advisable in the presence of wound and burn surfaces. Often
it is connected to anti-inflammatory, such as azulene,
emollients (aloe) and nourishing (essential oils, vitamins, green
Before applying the substance the skin is dried to warn
burn. If it is applied to the hairy area, the hair will either
shave off, or smeared with petroleum jelly before application.
Paraffin therapy in the salon
- Layering. Liquid paraffin t + 55-65 ° C is applied to the desired
area with a flat brush with a layer of 1-2 cm. Further, this area
covered with oilcloth or wax paper and covered with a blanket.
The temperature of the application is about +50 ° C.
- Ванна. Foot or brush with a brush smear
paraffin having t + 50-55 ° C, and then immersed in oilcloth
bag or special paraffin bath filled with
liquid substance with t + 60-65 ° C.
- Аппликация салфеткой. 2 layers are applied to the skin area.
paraffin to achieve a thickness of 0.5 cm and lay on top of gauze
dressing of 8-10 layers of gauze, which is dipped in paraffin t + 65-70
° C, cover with oilcloth and a blanket.
- Аппликация кюветой. Liquid paraffin is poured into
5 cm cuvettes in a layer of 1-2 cm, which is laid
medical film with loosely projecting edges on 5 cm. Size
The cuvette should correspond to the area of skin to which
application When the paraffin hardens, but will still be soft (t + 50-54
° C), it is removed from the cuvette along with oilcloth and impose on
skin covered over a blanket.
- Парафино-масляная смесь. The mixture includes
sterilized paraffin wax (about 75%) and fatty base – fish oil
vitamin or cottonseed oil. The mixture is heated to
temperature of 100 ° C and using a spray applied to
surface, grabbing and healthy tissue. During spraying
the temperature of the mixture drops to + 70-80 ° С. After spraying is complete
on the resulting film impose a sterile cloth moistened
in the same mixture, which is fixed and left for 3-4 days.
Paraffin at home
Home paraffin therapy is equivalent to efficiency
procedures carried out in salons and physiotherapy departments.
The main thing is to strictly follow the method of application, temperature
действующhim вещества и экспозицию, которая составляет 20-30 minutes
You should use special cosmetic formulations that
sold in pharmacies and shops, and melt it already
instructions. You can buy a special electric bath for
warming up the active ingredient, or do it in a saucepan on
water bath. For paraffin therapy at home should
use a special thermometer to measure the temperature
How to do paraffin
- Paraffin treatment for the face requires care when applying
paraffin waxed in several layers and covered
- Paraffin treatment of the hands is carried out in this way: the hands are dipped in
bath for 10 seconds and then slowly take them out and
repeat the procedure 5 times. Plastic gloves are put on top and
wrapped hands with a towel.
- Paraffin therapy for the legs is carried out similarly to the method for
impact on the hands, only on top of the applied substance dress
plastic bags, and then warm socks.
Paraffin is carefully removed from the skin (and it is removed very easily) and
cause cream, lotion and other care products that are very
хорошо впитываются и попадают в глубокие слои skin. After application
care products can make a gentle massage of the skin, which is still
more increase blood circulation, intercellular fluid movement and
cream action. Not recommended for half an hour after the procedure
go out and allow other actions in which it is possible
Cold paraffin therapy
The effect of cold paraffin cream is similar to the hot procedure,
only proceeds without thermal exposure. It can be used
and at home, and in the cabin. This technique is not contraindicated.
people suffering from varicose veins.
The cream is ready to use and does not require reheating. It is applied
on the cleaned skin of the legs or hands in a dense layer, wear polyethylene
protection and thermal socks or mittens, withstand due time and after
cream removers lubricate the skin with moisturizing or nourishing
Paraffin therapy for children
Paraffin treatment in children is used only as prescribed by a doctor in
conditions of physiotherapy room. Procedure may be
held at home after training a parent in medical
an employee. Apply less hot paraffin and also limit
время процедуры до 15 minutes Application method – application or
baths. After the procedure, a 1.5-2 hour rest is required or
- Children up to 12 months are most often prescribed for spastic paresis.
muscles, increased muscle tone of the legs and feet – the procedure allows
achieve relaxation of muscle tissue.
- In older children, the technique is used at the stage of recovery.
after bronchopulmonary pathology, with biliary dyskinesia
pathways, diseases of the bladder, sprains,
Features of work with paraffin
- Before applying the substance to a large area of the body a small him
the amount of drip on the skin and monitor the reaction for 10-15
- The skin in the application area is treated with an antiseptic and
- Если до процедуры наносят крем, him следует тщательно втереть
until completely absorbed;
- If paraffin therapy for arms and legs is part of a manicure and
pedicure, it is carried out after trimming the cuticle, but before the massage;
- Do not allow the ingress of water to the active base, or to the skin,
as this may cause burns;
- Paraffin should not cause burning sensations – get burned
with proper use is impossible, but monitor the temperature
- In no case can not use paraffin wax candles –
melt them and apply on the skin.
Автор: врач-гигиенист, эпидемиолог