- What for
- Where and how
From the first day of life, a newborn’s blood test is taken, to evaluate his state of health. This procedure will be repeated every 3 months during the first year of life a child.
How to take blood from a vein from an infant and what can be done so that the fence does not become an injury for both the baby and his parents?
Analysis results are an objective indicator the baby’s health, so in some cases they take it as planned, so that make sure that the child is healthy, and in others – as directed by the doctor if necessary, find out the cause of the disease state baby.
The fence is needed when:
- Identification of sensitivity to allergens (symptoms: skin peeling off, scarlet cheeks, rash on the body, etc.);
- Suspected hepatitis, infectious diseases or other very serious deviations (requires biochemical analysis);
- Needs to detect measles / rubella / mumps (need serological analysis);
- Signs of diabetes mellitus (check for sugar);
- The need for surgery or medical examination (analysis to clarify the group).
Where and how
The traditional place where blood is taken from both adults and young children, is the bend of the elbow. The procedure is standard: a tourniquet is applied, the zone of the planned puncture is processed alcohol, after a puncture, the analysis is taken into a test tube, the tourniquet is removed, the needles are removed and the hole clamped with cotton soaked in alcohol.
However, in infants and babies up to 4 months the blood is thicker and veins it is difficult to detect in the elbow bend (they are less noticeable), therefore in In such cases, veins can be used for the fence:
- The outside of the palm;
There are two types of fence technology: open and closed. The first case may give false data according to the result of the test (blood cells are destroyed when transferring them to a test tube) and be unsafe for participants procedures. The second way is the use of vacuum systems, which painless for the baby and safe.
- It is advisable to bring the baby to be tested hungry, which in the case with infants is unrealistic.
- 15 minutes before the start of the procedure, the baby should be warm and peace (so that the blood more easily exits through the dilated vessels).
- If possible, let the parent be present during blood sampling, holds the child in her arms and helps the medical staff, distracting the baby from discomfort. For older children, you can use anesthetic cream and liquid.
What is the norm of neutrophils in the blood of children and what to do with it deviation.
What does the transcript of a blood test in children taken from veins.
Find out here what an increase in blood monocytes means. a child.
The latest technology allows you to apply for taking the blood of the baby test strips, which greatly simplifies the procedure for taking blood from a vein from an infant.