Update: December 2018
Read also on the topic:
- What can you eat nursing mom
- Colic in babies
- Treatment of nipple cracks
- How to express milk
- How to put the baby to the chest
- Causes of frequent regurgitations
After the newborn and mother cross the threshold at home, the whole
care and responsibility for the hygiene of the baby are transferred to the shoulders
households. Problems with the navel often cause panic and fear. BUT
so the question: “How to handle the navel of a newborn?” is asked in
The first to come to patronage pediatrician.
Through the umbilical cord, the baby in the womb gets
essential nutrients and oxygen, and also gives its
metabolic products. At birth, this relationship is cut, and
umbilical residue impose Rogovina bracket.
Interestingly, if the navel is not bandaged at the birth of a baby,
then there will be no bleeding. In the umbilical ring are the umbilical vein
and two arteries. Vienna collapses when cutting, and arteries are gaping
because of the more dense wall structure. Their inner surface
has rollers that prevent bleeding.
But bacteria can penetrate there. Therefore, in the maternity hospital umbilical
the remainder is necessarily bandaged and processed. BUT когда
it disappears for about 4–5 days, then the treatment of the umbilical wound
carried out in 3 stages:
- Sterile cotton swab residue from all sides treated
hydrogen peroxide, the optimal concentration of 3%
- Then to prevent infection lubricate 96%
- The stump is dried and lubricated with 5% potassium permanganate.
(solution of potassium permanganate).
Sometimes the navel in a newborn does not fall away in the hospital. But this
sure to happen at home in terms of 7-10 days.
Is it possible to bathe a child if the navel does not fall away?
When the umbilical cord disappears – you can bathe (preferably in boiled
water). BUT до этого времени купать в ванночке ребенка can not. Only
Wipe with a damp sponge.
How to handle the navel at home?
If all is well, then usually the umbilical wound heals completely and
epithelialized at the 3rd week of life. Until that time, navel
processed daily after bathing. Processing tactics young
mom show a pediatrician or a district nurse at first
patronage. It is similar to that given in the hospital. Everything
manipulation of the umbilical wound, the mother spends only clean,
washed with soap and water.
- First, hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swab softens
the crust (if the peroxide does not foam during processing, then the navel is already
healed). As the wound heals, some parts of the crust will
fall away. They need to be carefully removed. Forcibly rip off anything
- Обрабатывается ранка 96% alcohol.
- Potassium permanganate solution is not recommended lately.
apply at home.
- First, it is sold in powder and must be prepared.
himself, keeping the right concentration.
- Second, the accidental ingress of a crystal substance on the skin
baby causes a chemical burn. Therefore, for home processing
navel doctors advise taking a 2% solution of brilliant green or
- First, it is sold in powder and must be prepared.
How many times a day to process the navel?
Достаточно 1 раз в day.
What to do so that he healed better and faster?
For better healing you need to often open the tummy, arrange
air baths. When using diapers, the belt should be
bend down so that it does not cover the wound. Try once again
don’t touch her.
What to do if the navel of the newborn is bleeding
First, let’s see why the navel is bloody.
- It can be a trauma to the navel when swaddling, washing away.
Or mother too “tries”, scrubbing the crusts.
- Formation of an umbilical granuloma (fungus). Do babies with fat
the umbilical cord remains a wide umbilical ring, which heals for a long time.
As a result of excessive growth of granulations, the navel expands,
resembling a mushroom shape. Education is painful, especially when
swaddling. BUT при небольшой травме может закровить. Treated only
- If the navel is bleeding due to careless treatment of the wound, then
Put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide there. Leave access to
navel for air and do not put the crumbs on the belly.
- The answer to the question: “Is it possible to bathe a newborn if it is bleeding
navel? ”negative. Wait for full healing and education
- In any case, even a small bleeding is an excuse.
See a doctor. If it is accompanied by deterioration
baby, the inspection is urgently needed, so you need to call the brigade
ambulance or go to the hospital yourself.
What to do if the navel festers
If the newborn is already 2 weeks old and the navel does not heal, it should
pay attention to it.
The so-called weeping navel is the first stage of development
omphalitis – inflammation of the umbilical wound. At this stage there is no pus yet,
but there is a small bright serous discharge, minor
redness of the skin around the navel. The condition of the child is not
- It will be only local and consists in processing the navel
перекисью водорода, а затем зеленкой 3–4 раза в day.
- Sometimes additionally prescribed ultraviolet irradiation.
- In some cases, use of ointments or powders with antibiotics:
ointment with polymyxin and bacitracin, Baneotsin.
If at this stage the inflammatory process is not stopped, then
pus appears. The umbilical ring will turn red, become swollen. Navel
bulges out, the skin above and around him becomes hot and
red. Omphalitis is accompanied by fever, baby
becomes sluggish, capricious, sucks breast badly.
If you do not start treatment in time, the pus can
spread into the subcutaneous tissue, to other organs, and
- Such babies are treated only in hospitals in the pathology departments.
- Antibiotics are required.
- With high temperatures and severe intoxication, the child may
to conduct infusion therapy, that is, “prokapat”.
- If when planting for sterility from the umbilical wound is sown
staphylococcus, then injected anti-staphylococcal immunoglobulin.
- Navel продолжают обрабатывать антисептиками несколько раз в
- If there is no temperature, then physiotherapy (UHF) is indicated.