Update: October 2018
A heating pad is a device for creating and maintaining a higher
temperature in more or less part of the body. This is one of
the most affordable means of physiotherapy that can be used
in any conditions: at home, in transport and even on the street. In hospitals
They also use heating pads, but rarely do this using
for local or general warming special infrared
There are sources of local heat of the three main types. The most
cheap and durable is a rubber tank filled
hot water, there is also an electric heater and saline
heaters. The last two devices are in the form of various
forms that are convenient for warming certain parts of the body
(for example, sinuses of the nose, legs, or feet). But whatever device
you would not decide to use, know: there is heat to use
indications and contraindications (they are common to all types of heaters).
If used improperly, this source of dry heat can
The effect of hot water bottles
Any local heat source, be it electric, rubber
or saline, has such effects due to heat:
- increasing the local metabolism increases the speed
recycling products of inflammation that speeds up the process
- relaxes smooth muscles (those muscles that are not subject to
our consciousness, they control the lumen of blood vessels, work
intestine, ureter, bladder, bronchus, esophagus, pharynx
and other organs). Muscle relaxation leads to an increase in diameter
the organ in whose wall these muscles are contained;
- has an analgesic effect;
- absorbing action;
- relieves spasm of smooth muscle organs;
- has a distracting effect, removing the “accent” in the form
increased blood supply from the diseased organ to a healthy one (this
the effect is used in hypertension and coughing caused
Indications for use of heaters. When, on the contrary, ice is needed
|Disease or symptom||Warmer||Ice|
|For newborns from colic||Yes, только если педиатр точно уверен, что это именно
|Constant feeling of freezing of hands or feet||Yes||Not|
|Inflammation of the lymph nodes, if it did not occur spontaneously (this
may indicate a tumor) and not due to purulent
|For the prevention of freezing when planning to
|Purulent arthritis, bursitis||Not||Yes|
|Abdominal pain has arisen on the background of stress, excitement or any
other experiences. Not accompanied by a rise in temperature
nausea or diarrhea
|Bruise, sprain, injury||From the second day onwards, if there is a decrease in edema. If a
it starts to grow from the third day – ice
|On the first day, for 20 minutes every 3 hours|
|�”Pulls” arm, neck, leg, shooting, without raising the temperature,
|Renal, biliary or intestinal colic. It should be
firm confidence that it is not purulent cholecystitis, pancreatitis,
pyelonephritis or appendicitis
|Lower back pain, changing urine character, increasing
|A runny nose with the appearance of light snot, “nasal congestion” of the nose,
sneezing, increased tearing, redness of the eyes, after reduction
temperatures парацетамолом или нурофеном
|Toothache, when you see a part of a blackened tooth,
there is pain when tapping on it. There is no swelling on the cheek
|Pain in the abdomen of any location, accompanied by the rise
temperatures, тошнотой, рвотой, поносом
|Tooth pain after removal||Not||Yes|
|Pain in the joint, its redness||Not||Yes|
|Dry cough during treatment with antibiotics and
expectorants. На фоне нормальной temperatures
|During an attack of “barking” coughing or breathing with a whistling
|Yes, на ступни||Not|
|During the pressure rise||Yes, на область ног, чтобы объем крови частично остался в
dilated veins of the legs
|If a через несколько дней от начала простуды усилилась
nasal congestion, fever or reappearance
|With painful urination, which can be excreted
blood but no back pain
|Can, short course||Can|
|If a на фоне полного благополучия вдруг отмечается
inability to go to the toilet in a small way
|After a stroke or encephalitis, due to which
paralyzed one or more limbs
|Yes, с 21 суток, на фоне разрабатывающих упражнений для
|When swelling from an insect bite||Not||Yes|
|If a после инъекции, открытой травмы или раны на теле
there is swelling and redness
|When a local allergic reaction||Not||Yes|
|If you have a sore throat, if the ENT doctor has not seen on the tonsils
|From the second day, if white does not appear on the tonsils
|For earache||Can, только если исключен гнойный отит ЛОР-врачом||Not|
|Before the competition||Yes||Not|
|Flowing blood from the nose||Not||Yes|
|Болит половина головы, подъемом temperatures is not
|Болит голова, без тошноты и повышения temperatures, на фоне
crunches in the neck and soreness when pressing on the neck
vertebrae. At the same time, the condition did not occur amid injury
spine or head
|Before mechanical cleaning of the face, on which there are no areas
покраснения или ulcers
|When biliary dyskinesia, according to the recommendation
|If a у кормящей мамы только появились участки затвердения в
|Bleeding from the vagina in a non-pregnant||Not||Yes, наряду с другими мероприятиями и консультацией
|Pain in the scrotum||Not||Yes|
The use of a salt water bottle, as well as any other, is contraindicated
- Purulent process, especially if the inflamed area is located
inside the cavity:
- abscess or cellulitis (purulent “fusion” subcutaneous
- acute cholecystitis, pancreatitis, colitis;
- bursitis (inflammation of the articular bag);
- purulent arthritis (inflammation of the joint itself);
- meningitis, encephalitis.
- Oncological diseases.
- When autoimmune pathologies of the thyroid gland, liver,
retina, testicles and other organs, fenced from its own
immunity with a special cellular “barrier”.
- Bleeding – external (nasal, from the wound hole, from
ear) or internal.
- Acute and sudden pains in the abdomen, head, or chest
- If a участок кожи в любом месте покраснел, отечен, его
temperature is higher than over neighboring areas.
- In the postoperative period after any operation.
How to use a heating pad
Since there are three main types of this simplest
�”Heater” of the body, consider each.
This is a very good invention, which may have different
form: be in the form of a toy, insole, have a shape convenient for
palms, joints or neck area (like a hot water bottle
�”collar”). The color of the polyvinyl fluoride “package” in which the
heating elements may also have a different color.
This device is a chemical type in which heat
produced by chemical reaction. Instructions to
Salt warmer indicates that you need to push hard
finger or soft side of the pencil on the metal
switch to salt (sodium acetate), which before
were in a liquid state, but in the form of a supersaturated solution,
reacted with an injectable reagent. Wherein
the metal stick (button) that you click on is
center of crystallization.
В инструкции также указано, до какой temperatures разогревается
this or that heater. So, a salt water bottle for newborns,
the main purpose of which is salvation from colic is warming
up to 50-54 degrees, some salt “insoles” for the feet
adult heated to 80 ° C.
The advantages of this device is that it is made of
safe and non-toxic materials, durable, not cause burns
maybe, heating up, it takes the form of a body, and it is very convenient.
Being released as a toy, it allows you to create good conditions.
for treating babies.
How to use a salt water bottle:
- Click on the activator button from the wide side of the metal
starter, with a click should be heard – so activated
- In seconds, the device warms up and you can
- Location of the heating device:
- Colic is treated only after examining a pediatrician who must
eliminate all serious and surgical diseases that may cause
anxiety of the child and pain in the tummy. In this case, the heater
wrapped in a dry cloth in 2 layers and located in the area
around the baby’s navel so that neither the left nor the right hypochondrium is
warming up If a нагревающее устройство чересчур большое для этого
baby, you need to try to roll or twist, fixing
on top of the cloth, but the hypochondria must not be heated. If a
colic возникают после переедания газообразующих продуктов у
a child older than 1 year old (again, the presence of colic should
set pediatrician), salt heater can be applied to
T-shirt or T-shirt child.
- Warmer солевая лор, используемая для лечения отитов и синуситов
of nonpurulent origin, has the form of human lungs, only
smaller size. It overlaps the area of the nose and sinuses,
or on the ear cartilage. If a речь идет о ребенке до года, ее нужно
wrap in cloth and not get on the eye area.
- Warmer-воротник накладывается, в основном, на воротниковую
zone. She can also wrap the knee, elbow and hip
joints that hurt due to the presence of degenerative
process. In children, such a device can be used during
treatment of spastic torticollis. Only it will need to be wrapped
- If a тепло используется для согревания ног недоношенного
child, it is placed at a distance of 5-7 cm from the feet.
- On the device Orlett, having the form of a mattress, you can go to bed.
It is used to treat spinal abnormalities and nearby
the muscles holding it.
- Insoles put in shoes, under socks.
- Colic is treated only after examining a pediatrician who must
- The time that the heat source holds is different. He must
appoint a doctor:
- with colic, it is usually 20-30 minutes;
- with radiculitis, neurosis, osteochondrosis, you can keep warm until
4 hours while the device keeps warm;
- стельки взрослым можно носить до 4 часов, если is not вызывает
- for “blind sensing” the salt heater is placed on
right hypochondrium for 20-30 minutes, no more.
- Yesльше солевой наполнитель нужно восстановить. For this
the heater must be wrapped in a clean cloth and boiled 10-15
minutes – as long as it is written in the instructions.
Electric heater is a heater, which for work
need an electrical network. Зачастую она имеет регулятор temperatures,
with which you can set or recommended by a doctor (if
it is about treatment), or one that is comfortable (if it’s about
warming). The lower the temperature, the longer you can keep it.
It is convenient to use a heating pad, it is enough to put it on
place requiring warming. It is also possible to treat colic.
use, but in this case it should not be placed on the child, but
under the mattress, the baby is spread on the stomach.
The time required for heating with a heating pad may be
different: from 20-30 minutes at a temperature of 40 degrees in the baby 3-5
months, up to 3-4 hours in the treatment of bone, muscle or nerve
diseases in adults. You can not sleep with such a heater, especially
baby – because of the danger of electrical shock.
Water filled rubber heaters
This is the cheapest way to keep warm or warm a certain
region. These heaters have 2 shapes, different sizes, are made in
multiple colors. Such heaters are not recommended.
for the treatment of colic, because, even having a small size, along with
water they will get enough weight that will put pressure on the stomach
The algorithm for using rubber tanks is as follows:
- Unscrew the cap of the container.
- Open the tap with warm water. Her temperature should not be
more than 55 degrees.
- Type water in the tank, filling no more than 2/3 of its volume
(water should be spread, and not inflate the heating pad when you put it in
- Having squeezed the container from the sides, squeeze out air from there (water should
go to the edge).
- Screw the cap tight.
- Turn the container upside down: no water should flow out.
- Wipe the product dry.
- Can use.
- Places where you can put a water-filled tank, do not differ
from those for the salt heater.
- Store the hot water tank in a dry state, with
open lid, upside down. Measures
You can not warm:
- endocrine organs: thyroid, lumbar region (there
adrenal glands are located);
- areas of large vessels: on the sides of the neck, behind the neck, on
hips – in the area of the inguinal fold, as well as on the soft tissues of the shoulders,
forearms (on the arms – only in the joints, otherwise you
raise the temperature of the body, warming the blood);
- head area;
- abscess, phlegmon.
Only at the doctor’s prescription can the heater be laid:
- under the right hypochondrium;
- in the area of the joints;
- on the lower back so that the treatment of osteochondrosis or spondylosis is not
complicated by inflammation of the renal tissue;
- on the stomach – with his pains;
- on the inflamed lymph node;
- on legs – with hypertension;
- plots in the breast of a nursing woman.
You can have a heating pad:
- cystitis – on the lower abdomen;
- with arthrosis and non-purulent arthritis – on the affected joint;
- with sprains, ruptures of muscles, tendons, ligaments – on the patient
- with myositis – on the inflamed muscles;
- при радикулите – на больную область, если is not зона, где
pass large vessels.
If a нужно наложить согревающий источник на кожу человека,
unconscious or who has a pathology
temperature sensitivity, you need to periodically check
the zone on which the heater is applied, especially if it is
electric or water refill for burns.
Автор: Кривега Мария Салаватовна врач-реаниматолог