Update: October 2018
- The main causes of headaches
- Causes of “non-hazardous” headache
- Short video about the 7 main causes of headache in children
- Video Komarovsky “Why a child often complains about the head
- Diagram of the main causes of headache depending on
- Causes of headache requiring urgent diagnosis
- When you can not waste time on home diagnostics
- Determine the cause of pain on the leading symptom
- First aid for children with headache
Если у baby болит голова, нужно уделить этому пристальное
- Во-первых, расспросить о характере и localization боли.
- Secondly, assess his condition and other complaints that were
from the beginning or appeared later.
- Thirdly, it is necessary to analyze his entire schedule during
weeks – from morning to evening.
The main causes of headaches
The reasons for which there is a headache in children, not less
50. Conventionally, they are divided into 3 types:
Primary cephalgia is the most common symptom in children. Here
include migraine, tension headache, cluster pain. Those.
these are not dangerous causes of pain and are most often caused by overwork,
dehydration, oxygen starvation, malnutrition or hunger and
Secondary cephalgia. They are divided into 8 groups:
- traumatic nature;
- diseases of non-vascular structures in the cranial cavity;
- caused by various substances medications as well
termination of their admission;
- arising from violations of the normal composition of the blood;
- caused by a disease of the facial and cranial structures;
- associated with mental disorders.
Neuralgia of the cranial nerves, facial pain, other
In order not to overload you with information, we will conduct such
classification. Разделим причины, из-за которых у baby болит
head on the disease:
- benign that rarely lead to life-threatening
- urgently needed assistance that may lead to
serious complications if you do not start the diagnosis within 24-48
- requiring emergency (in the next few minutes) measures – directly
Causes of “non-hazardous” headache
Эти заболевания вызывают цефалгию у baby чаще всего. Here
- tension headache;
- cluster headache;
- cephalgia with intoxication;
- taking some heart drugs;
- headache associated with inflammation of the trigeminal nerve;
- pain caused by transient intoxication (for example,
inhaling the smell of some flowers, fumes from wood-shaving,
plastic, carpet products). As a rule, in this case the head
sore in the forehead.
If a child often complains of a headache that does not
accompanied by a rise in temperature, evaluate the conditions when it
Migraine – это когда головная боль:
- passes after sleep;
- develops after the student has not had time to eat in the morning or
- appears after lack of sleep or physical exertion;
- may develop after eating chocolate, nuts, cheese,
- occurs “on the weather”;
- felt in the middle of the head – in the forehead and temple, around
eyes, may begin in the occipital region, then move on to
temple and forehead;
- появляется после an attack слабости, плохого настроения,
hypersensitivity to sounds and smells, weakness in
limbs, “flies”, goosebumps, distortion of the shape of objects;
- coincides with menstruation.
In younger children, migraine develops more often in the afternoon,
при первых an attackх голова болит с двух сторон. After sex
maturation attacks develop in the morning, affect one half
Tension headache – это боль
давящего или сжимающего характера, ощущаемая с двух сторон heads.
Feeling such pain, the child will say that he “seems to be on
put on a head a tight hat or hard hat “. This symptom appears:
- после чрезмерной нагрузки at school;
- after a long stay in a stuffy room;
- after emotional stress, for example, after control;
- after a long sitting at a table or at a desk in an uncomfortable
- after a long “communication” with gadgets.
Tension headache не усиливается от физической нагрузки –
only from the mental. Therefore, there is even a separate term “pain 8
September ”: when a child, who had a rest on a vacation, returns to
school, then by the eighth day of increased stress he begins to ache
Кластерная головная боль – это еще один
diagnosis. Its characteristics are as follows:
- she is strong;
- felt in one side of the head – always;
- repeated in the form of attacks lasting 15-180 minutes – not
- bouts go one after another with a certain frequency (from
several weeks to several months);
- after a series of attacks, there is a period of calm;
- accompanied by anxiety, aggression;
- at the same time, half of the nose is always embedded or, conversely, from
nostrils emit a lot of snot;
- во время an attack выделяется пот на одной стороне лба и
- red eyes on the side of the headache.
Children who suffer from this type of cephalgia usually have
athletic physique. Doctors say that they have a common
Character trait: indecision when making decisions.
Short video on the causes of headache in children
Video Komarovsky “Why a child often complains about the head
Diagram of the main causes of headache depending on
Причины головной боли в зависимости от localization. Press 2
times to increase.
Causes of headache requiring urgent diagnosis
Here we will assign such
- cervical scoliosis;
- Arnold Chiari Syndrome;
- leakage of liquor (liquorrhea) through the nose or ear, when caused
cephalgia is too low intracranial pressure;
- idiopathic (due to unknown reasons)
increased intracranial pressure.
- See Teenage headaches are not obvious causes of pain.
- Causes of headaches in the temples.
- Headache in neck
- Headache medication
When you can not waste time on home diagnostics
- Stroke. Everyone heard that he is now “younger”. It’s true:
doctors diagnose hemorrhages in the subarachnoid space
and the blood-staining of brain matter even in infants.
Sometimes it happens as a result of a head injury, sometimes –
spontaneously if inside the skull there are incorrectly connected between
are vessels, and the child is also nervous.
- Meningitis. No less terrible diagnoses, accompanied by
cephalgia are meningitis and encephalitis. And they often do not
accompanied by some kind of skin rash.
- Brain tumors. Quite rare in childhood, but can
develop a brain tumor. It can grow and squeeze neighboring
structures, causing a gradual increase in intracranial pressure.
A tumor can decay – then symptoms appear, not
differing especially from stroke.
- Occlusive hydrocephalus – a condition where the spinal
fluid cannot normally extend beyond the cranial cavity, and
fills the ventricles of the brain.
- Stratification of the wall of the vertebral or carotid artery.
- Vascular diseases: thrombosis of one of the venous sinuses,
Moya-moya disease, vascular anomalies, vasculitis.
- Hypertension, including malignant (when
pressure is almost not reduced under the influence of drugs).
- Hypoxia is a condition where there is not enough oxygen in the blood.
Acute hypoxia develops on the background of acute pneumonia, poisoning
tissue poisons (including cyanides), heart disease.
Chronic – for chronic heart and respiratory diseases,
heart defects, bronchial asthma.
- Hypercapnia – an increase in the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood.
This is possible with carbon monoxide poisoning, bronchostatus (severe
attack of bronchial asthma), panic attack.
- Traumatic brain injury.
All these diseases should be noted as early as possible. And immediately
call a doctor.
Focus on these symptoms:
- a sharp headache (as if a dagger had been struck) or such
which is gaining maximum intensity in less than
- delirium, inadequacy;
- when the headache and nausea, most often, with an increase
temperature, usually after a cold;
- �”Flies” before the eyes;
- convulsions in the face of headaches that may occur as
elevated temperature, and without it;
- drowsiness with headache;
- unintelligible speech;
- severe headache: the child lies in a forced posture, not
shows enthusiasm for offers to play, see
- face asymmetry;
- severe hearing or vision impairment;
- weakness in limbs on one side right up to their
- the appearance of any rash on the body in combination with a headache;
- cephalgia on the background of symptoms such as cough, shortness of breath, wheezing
breathing, irregular heartbeat, chest pain, feeling that
heart “turns over”;
- headache after a head injury or stress;
- if the head constantly hurts, the child is without cause
- cephalgia increases in a certain position, as well as when coughing,
Determine the cause of pain on the leading symptom
Select the main symptom, which will give you to understand how
the disease you are most likely to encounter:
|No temperature||With temperature|
In the forehead area
|When intoxication. Then it appears on the background:
||Front: begins to ache in the frontal part of a cold or
after her. Cephalgia increases with forward bending
Intracranial hypertension. Very strong bursting
Strengthens after running, somersaults, a long stay on
Accompanied by vomiting: first after a meal, medication,
Headache and eyes hurt
Captures half heads, is located in the forehead and temple,
Important: the side of the pain changes with seizures. If it always hurts with
Sinusitis: frontal, spheno- or ethmoiditis; possible inflammation immediately
Pain syndrome is especially strong on waking, increases with
Strong, always on the same side, accompanied by
Accompanied by nasal congestion or runny nose, sweating.
Influenza, rarely – other ARVI
Accompanied by aching muscles, bones, runny nose
Pain is localized on the one hand, lasts 2-30
Differs from cluster cephalgia only by short duration.
This is a severe headache, accompanied by nausea outside of the reception.
Short-term unilateral neuralgic pains
They have the same symptoms – redness of the eyelid, congestion
Difference from them – all attacks are different in time.
Primary stabbing headache
Characterized by tingling sensations, lasts for several
The child sees poorly what is written on the board. Cephalgia occurs
Inflammatory diseases of the eye
(iritis, iridocyclitis, herpes zoster in the trigeminal region
Tearing, pain when opening eyes, in connection with which he
It begins to hurt after a long load of the organ of vision: reading,
The eye does not just hurt, there is pressure in it. Thereafter
It hurts in the temples
The pain spreads to the ear, from it marked discharge. Pain
Pain начиналась в ухе, захватила височную и теменную область.
May be accompanied by pain in the heart, abdomen, joints.
|Primary stabbing headache|
Pain появляется после стресса, перенапряжения, отрицательных
May be accompanied by nausea, tinnitus or head noise
Reduced intracranial pressure
Localized in the vertex and occiput. Strengthens when jumping, coughing,
It becomes easier when you lower the head, bending the head
The head hurts and turns
Occurs in girls of older school age. Manifests itself
Headache is severe, accompanied by nausea. Occurs on
|Tension headache||Any infectious disease with severe intoxication|
Headache and nausea
|Migraine||Any infectious disease accompanied by intoxication:
angina, pneumonia, sinusitis
Abdominal migraine – pulsating paroxysmal pain
Observed at the age of 5-10 years
In this case, the pain is very strong.
Sore belly and head
Intestinal infection, accompanied by intoxication
Most likely, there should be diarrhea and / or vomiting.
It occurs in August-September, most often – after a trip to
First aid for children with headache
- air the room more often;
- put a sandwich, a cookie and an apple to his school;
- make sure that he does not sit behind the gadgets;
- immediately after waking up to do gymnastics, jogging;
- ensure that he sleeps at least 9 hours a day;
- be sure to feed it daily with fresh vegetables and
При возникновении an attack воспользуйтесь простым рецептом:
make the child a quiet and darkened room, put a wet
cloth dipped in cold water on the forehead. The child will sleep, and him
it will be easier. Only first make sure that there is no dangerous
What can children with headaches? Single pills
children with a headache is “Ibuprofen” and “Paracetamol”. Nothing
you cannot take another without a doctor’s prescription. Even if you
sure that he has a migraine, drugs with ergot alkaloids without
medical permission to give is very dangerous!
Автор: Кривега Мария Салаватовна врач-реаниматолог