Follicular sore throat – the most common form of inflammation
lymphoid ring in the throat. The disease is accompanied by an increase
and inflammation of the cervical regional lymph nodes into which it flows
lymph from foci of inflammation. Main risk group for development
This pathology consists of children and young people, while
while follicular tonsillitis in adults after forty years
belongs to the category of rare diseases.
In adults, this disease occurs in the form of exacerbation of chronic
tonsillitis, or as a result of complications of catarrhal processes.
Lack of assistance for this disease leads to the development of
many complications, so it’s very important to know how to treat
follicular sore throat correctly at home.
Features of follicular angina
Follicular tonsillitis is an acute inflammatory process.
purulent character, localized in the follicles of the tonsils with
the appearance of point purulent foci. It affects not only the mucous
lacunae, but the follicles are inflamed, of which
mainly consists of parenchyma (inner tissue) of the tonsils.
Several purulent follicles merge into an abscess, called
The yellow spots of the festering follicles are scattered throughout the surface.
tonsils. In the photo, the abscesses in the follicular tonsillitis resemble
According to the international classification of diseases, the disease has
name – follicular tonsillitis. It corresponds to the ICD-10 code –
According to the classification of diseases ICD 10, purulent tonsillitis
относят фолликулярную и лакунарную sore throat
The etiology of follicular angina involves two factors:
- impact on the human body of infectious agents.
The progression of this type of sore throat provokes
бета-гемолитический стрептококк, грибки из рода Кандида,
вирусы и стафилококки некоторых подвидов;
- reduced body reactivity. Can contribute to this
переохлаждение, гиповитаминоз, хроническая усталость,
Inadequate and poor nutrition.
Ways of transmission of the pathogen:
- aerosol, airborne, by inhalation;
- fecal-oral, with food, water;
- contact and household.
Transmission factors infected:
The causative agent of follicular angina does not have to fall
into the body from the external environment. In some cases, he may constantly
be in the body. The source of infection can be chronic.
inflammatory processes: caries, sinusitis and others.
The factors that trigger follicular inflammation are identical to any
form of tonsillitis:
- low immunity;
- chronic tonsillitis, caries;
- hypothermia common (inappropriate weather clothing, wet
legs, etc.) and local (eating ice cream, cold water and
Seasonal and individual predisposition of people to
disease of tonsillitis.
The incubation period of angina ranges from several hours to 7
days Само заболевание длится 5 – 10 days Acute tonsillitis is always
begins with catarrhal form, and after 2 – 3 days appear
symptoms of follicular angina.
Symptoms and photos
In its pathogenesis, symptoms of follicular tonsillitis pass
several stages. Many of them resemble a clinical picture.
flu and SARS, other types of tonsillitis, mononucleosis, oral candidiasis
cavities. Improper treatment or lack of it leads to
penetration of streptococcus in the blood and intoxication of the body.
Precursors of follicular angina is inflammation
mucous membrane of the soft palate, palatal arches, palatine tonsils:
- the surface of the oral tissues is hyperemic, covered
- the patient complains of blurred sore throat
- at inspection reveal subfebrile temperature, moderate
swelling, swelling of the mucous membranes, regional lymph nodes (cervical,
submandibular) enlarged, painful on palpation.
Within 1-3 days, with no treatment, the first ones appear.
- The temperature quickly rises to 39-40, antipyretic treatment
drugs does not bring results;
- sore throat, dry cough, dry mouth;
- a gradual increase in sore throat, especially when swallowing;
- swelling of tonsils, redness;
- symptoms of intoxication (body aches, weakness, chills);
- pains in the head, joints, lower back that do not stop with
- dyspeptic symptoms – nausea, vomiting, abnormal stool;
- heart pain, tachycardia, arrhythmia;
- hoarseness or complete loss of voice;
- excessive sweating, insomnia.
The photo shows that they are small (1-3 mm), white or
The symptoms of follicular angina in adults are very bright and
characteristic. But in some cases they can be confused with very
dangerous disease – diphtheria. It proceeds with a similar
symptomatic, but treated completely differently.
With an acute process, characteristic changes occur.
состава крови: количество лейкоцитов увеличивается,
leukocyte formula is shifted to the left (marked with a band and
segmented leukocytosis, and sometimes eosinophilia). ESR
increases, sometimes very significantly.
For 5-6 day, suppurative follicles open the contents
poured into the oral cavity, the patient’s condition is somewhat
easier. The aggravation of inflammation — the formation of a lacunar form,
release of pus into the near-almond tissues – even with the initiated treatment
- aggravated soreness;
- outwardly noticeable swelling of the neck;
- stable hyperthermia;
- continued difficulty in swallowing;
- increased pain in the lymph nodes.
If a patient has 6 days after the start of treatment
following symptoms, it indicates deterioration and
- aggravated sore throat
- elevated body temperature
- difficulty swallowing
- external tumor in the area of the inflamed tonsils around the neck
- soreness of lymph nodes.
Особенно важно дифференцировать инфекционный
мононуклеоз от фолликулярной ангины, поскольку лечение этих
The two pathologies differ radically. In the presence of mononucleosis
antibiotics are contraindicated, while the treatment of purulent
forms of follicular angina are performed only with
Acute inflammation observed in follicular tonsillitis, with
severe disease can lead to paratonsillar
abscess – inflammation of fiber over the pharynx. This is local
the complication of the nearest tissue may be complicated by sepsis, cause
Most often occurs:
- streptococcal meningitis;
- pyelonephritis, glomerulonephritis;
- infectious toxic shock;
- damage to the digestive tract;
- paratonsillar abscess;
- phlegmon formation;
- laryngeal edema.
Follicular sore throat – which doctor will help? With or
suspicion of the development of this pathology should be immediately
seek the advice of such doctors as an infectious diseases
A knowledgeable ENT doctor will be able to easily and accurately determine the type of infection with
using a smear of purulent plaque from the pharynx and palatine tonsils.
Only then it is possible to determine with accuracy which acting
antibiotic in this case can be prescribed to the patient during treatment
follicular sore throat.
Treatment of follicular angina in adults
On the first day of the development of follicular angina in a patient
swabs of pharynx and nose should be taken on Lefler’s wand
(causative agent of diphtheria), with which it is necessary to differentiate
sore throat After this, the treatment of the disease begins.
Effective treatment with drugs is impossible without
strict observance of the following prescriptions:
- Bed rest, refusal to stay on the street for 5-6 days during
avoid sharp deterioration.
- Abundant warm drink, especially non-carbonated mineral
water, milk with soda, herbal with rosehip, chamomile and
sage In order not to injure the inflamed mucous membrane, the temperature
liquids should not be too high.
- Food should be homogeneous because
swallowing solid food significantly increases pain,
The diet should be formed from liquid broths, soups, porridges.
It is also important to frequently ventilate the room and regularly
clean the room (daily).
- Since the disease is rather contagious, isolation is necessary.
patient, providing individual utensils, items
- The room where the patient is located must be cleaned and
- Constantly gargle. To do this, you can cook
anti-inflammatory and antiseptic solutions in home
conditions, or purchase them off-the-shelf at the pharmacy.
Drug treatment of follicular angina is necessary
includes broad-spectrum antibiotics. Their main
task – to destroy the causative agent of the disease.
The following antibiotics are widely used in follicular
The appointment of a drug for
follicular sore throat should be etiologically sound and
The mandatory rule of all infectious disease disease is the exception
use of antibacterial drugs when not installed
bacterial nature of follicular angina, which is quite often
found in pediatric practice.
Unjustified prescription of antibacterial drugs is inevitable
leads to the formation of antibiotic-resistant strains of pathogens,
which greatly complicates further treatment of patients.
For follicular sore throats is characterized by fever,
pain of varying intensity. If necessary, the doctor prescribes
drugs that eliminate unpleasant symptoms.
- After taking antibiotics, it is advisable appointment
probiotics, to restore the intestinal flora – it can be
drugs “Linex”, “Bifiform”, or “Bifidumbakterina.”
- Mouth rinses with antiseptic solutions
(Chlorhexidine, Chlorophyllipt, Furacilin); rinsing should be
frequent (2-3 times per hour), since the meaning of this procedure is
not only oppression of microorganisms, but also cleansing the surface
tonsils from purulent raids, which means a further warning
the spread of infection;
- Antihistamines such as “phenystyl”, “Suprastin”,
�”Zyrtek” or “Zodak” relieve puffiness in pharynx and reduce
severity of an allergic response to the reception
- The disease is often accompanied by rhinitis, which suggests
use of nasal drops. For example, the drug Derinat, in addition to
effects on the focus of inflammation, has also immunomodulatory
action, so it is often used in pediatric
The main indications for this procedure are:
- the ineffectiveness of antibacterial treatment;
- enlarged tonsils, making it difficult to swallow and breathing;
- distribution of purulent process to closely spaced
The doctor recommends various methods of tonsillectomy:
- wire loop and scissors;
- electrocoagulation or ultrasound scalpel;
- radiofrequency ablation;
- removal of tonsils by cable;
- carbon dioxide or infrared laser.
In the absence of dangerous complications of the heart, kidneys,
musculoskeletal system prognosis of follicular tonsillitis
It should be remembered that the popular recipe does not replace
drug treatment, and before using them need
the doctor’s consultation.
- Gargling with soda, salt and iodine. On a glass of boiled water
put half a teaspoon of salt, the same amount of soda and 3 drops
iodine. Stir well. Instead of cooking you can use
- Grate raw beets (1 cup ready mass), add 1 tbsp.
a spoonful of apple cider vinegar, mix and put in 4 hours in cool
dark place. After that, the composition is filtered, used for
- You can fight infectious pathogens with
propolis. Chew a small piece of the product until soft
condition and place the cheek for 30-40 minutes.
- Using aloe: take the bottom leaves, rinse them
running water, then rinse with boiled water, dry a little,
chop and squeeze the juice. The resulting juice must be diluted with water in
proportions 1: 1 and gargle every time after eating for
To avoid the development of the disease, it is necessary to
pay attention to their own health. Matter:
- healthy sleep;
- balanced and balanced diet;
- moderate exercise;
- timely adequate treatment of chronic foci
- prevention of somatic diseases.