The kid in the house is happiness in the family. But the joy of having a baby may give way to worries about the health of the child. Often mommies they hear from their neonatologists “dropsy” about their son in the hospital testicles. ”
But what is it, why did it appear, is it dangerous, how to be treated and what doctors do not explain what to expect, leaving mommies in terrible ignorance. In this article you will find all the necessary information about disease, the causes of the appearance and treatment methods.
Dropsy of the testicles (hydrocele) – a disease, enough often found in children from birth to the age of three, but can develop in boys of different ages, even in teenagers. It consists in the fact that around the testicles, or around one testicle, accumulates and stagnates in the scrotum liquid. As a result, the scrotum increases, swells, can swelling in the groin appears.
Dropsy is of two types:
- Physiological – develops during intrauterine development, in most cases takes place during the first year life itself;
- Acquired – the disease appears due to diseases, injuries and operations.
Dropsy is also divided into:
- Communicating – the testicle is connected to the abdominal cavity, and the fluid moves between them (this type of dropsy occurs due to intrauterine pathology, when the vaginal process does not overgrow to end);
- Isolated – fluid accumulates only between the testicles and scrotum.
Dropsy can be of two forms:
- Tense – the fluid in the scrotum is under pressure;
- Not tense – there is no pronounced pressure.
Distinguish between dropsy chronic and acute (only these stages have acquired dropsy):
- Acute occurs due to injuries and illnesses, very often after surgery;
- The chronic form develops after an acute, if the boy is not received timely treatment.
There are many reasons for the dropsy. Even the slightest disturbance in the course of pregnancy can lead to this disease. We list the main reasons:
- The threat of miscarriage in the mother during pregnancy;
- Mom drinking and smoking while pregnancy
- Acceptance of certain medications;
- The presence of diabetes in the mother;
- Mother-borne diseases like rubella and chickenpox during pregnancy;
- Intrauterine infection;
- Increased intra-abdominal pressure resulting from certain diseases (cardiovascular failure, tumor testicles, inflammation of the testicle or appendages);
- The baby is born prematurely;
- Genital gland injuries at birth;
- Genetic predisposition
- Diseases leading the child to irritability (bowel disease);
- Congenital abnormal development of the lymph nodes of the scrotum;
- Peritoneal dialysis can cause dropsy.
Note that it is not confirmed that wearing diapers promotes the formation and development of dropsy!
- One or both testicles is enlarged;
- The skin on the scrotum is mobile;
- The formation around the testicle is elastic but dense;
- If there is fluid in the groin, then the dropsy is in the form of sand hours;
- Dropsy does not cause the baby any inconvenience or pain when urinating.
With a prolonged course of the disease, additional symptoms:
- Vomiting, nausea;
- Redness of the scrotum;
- Groin pain
- Difficulty urinating
Correctly diagnose hydrocele (without confusing with inguinal hernia) and only a doctor can prescribe treatment. For the diagnosis of dropsy The following methods are used:
- Diaphanoscopy – scans of the scrotum.
- Ultrasound of the testicles;
- blood and urine tests;
- examination by a urologist or surgeon.
- Newborns with this disease are usually registered with doctor up to two years.
- Children over two years old are observed for 2-3 months, after what is prescribed treatment.
In most cases, hydrocele in children under 2 years of age is not treated, so how the disease goes away on its own.
Operation up to two years is done boys only on the following indications:
- In parallel with dropsy, an inguinal hernia develops;
- The size of the scrotum varies (large or small);
- The presence of infection;
- Constant discomfort and pain in the inguinal zone;
- If a one-year-old baby has too much fluid in the scrotum, then do a puncture;
- After two years and at an older age, surgery is prescribed to avoid serious consequences.
Dropsy operations are not complicated, fast, divided into several species:
- Operation Ross – with communicating dropsy;
- Bergman’s operation – with isolated hydrocele;
- Lord’s operation – surgery is reduced to to a minimum.
Dropsy itself is not dangerous. Dangerous consequences that she may entail:
- Inguinal hernia;
- A different kind of infection.
- Plan your pregnancy and prepare your body for a new one. for him a period;
- Avoid diseases during pregnancy;
- Accustom your child to sexual hygiene and accuracy.
Pay particular attention to redness under the testicles in baby.
Mom’s school: Rules for caring for a newborn boy.
Useful material on how to choose a mattress for newborns.
Mom, take care of the health of your children and in time contact specialists, if there was dropsy of the testicle in the baby!