Chronic rhinitis is a disease characterized by recurring
symptoms of acute rhinitis – difficulty inhalation
air through the nose, heavy discharge of different consistency,
decrease in the severity of smell.
Next, we consider what causes the development of the disease, what
there are types, as well as symptoms and methods of treatment of the chronic form in
What is chronic rhinitis?
Chronic rhinitis (runny nose) is a chronic inflammatory
процесс, протекающий в слизистой оболочке the nose.
In general, chronic rhinitis is undertreated rhinitis.
acute nature after infectious inflammations suffered,
which were caused by various microbes. Huge role in
The body plays the immune system. After all, when weakened
immunity occurs dysfunction of cells and tissues,
which leads to a protracted cold.
- Согласно МКБ 10 хронический ринит носит код J31.0.
Most often, teenagers and adults suffer from the disease. Chronic
the form can be triggered by improper treatment,
curved nasal septum, blood circulation.
In adults, chronic rhinitis can occur in the following
Chronic vasomotor rhinitis
It is caused by disorders in the regulation of blood circulation.
сосудов, лежащих в слизистой полости the nose. This type is not worth it
treat folk remedies, but you must always contact
The basis of this type of chronic rhinitis is a shift in the immune system.
reaction, manifested at the local level. As a result of this reason
nasal mucosa begins to give an allergic reaction when
exposure to various allergens. Treat this type of rhinitis
It is necessary to begin with the detection of the exact allergen, without
worth hoping for folk remedies.
This form of the disease is characterized by mucositis.
shell of the nose, and constant abundant secretions. Chronic
catarrhal rhinitis is the most common complication
classic acute rhinitis.
This form of chronic rhinitis is characterized by proliferation.
tissue structures (mucosa, periosteum, bone) in
полости носа, особенно в области turbinates.
Chronic атрофический ринит делится на первичный (причины
development of which is not exactly known) and secondary (provoked
constant exposure to adverse industrial factors:
chemicals, dust, abnormally high or low temperature,
The main reasons for the formation of chronic rhinitis
- ingestion of allergic substances;
- constant use of nasal drops, which are very often
addictive and after that become absolutely not
- a drop in the level of hormones in the body due to pregnancy
malfunctioning or removing one of the parts of the thyroid
- alcohol abuse and nicotine;
- eating spicy foods;
- pathology of the structure of the nasal septum and sinus;
- inhaling air with a high content of dust or gas that leads
irritation of the nasal mucosa;
- effects of plastic surgery during which there was
the shape of the concha is changed;
- inflammation of the adenoids;
- various diseases of the body of a chronic nature;
- weakened immunity;
- other inflammatory processes in the nasal cavity;
- genetic predisposition.
- Stay in a room where they constantly smoke; smoking.
- Air pollution by gases.
- Work with a hot stove in dry air.
- Occupational hazards.
- Sudden change of temperature.
- Diseases that contribute to a decrease in the immune system.
- Acquired or congenital disease related to the violation
the anatomical structure of the nasal bones.
- Therapy with sedative, hormonal drugs; reception
contraceptives, certain drugs used in
treatment of hypertension.
- Genetic predisposition.
Symptoms of chronic rhinitis
Symptoms of chronic rhinitis, regardless of the form
- nasal discharge;
- dry nasal mucosa;
- difficulty in nasal breathing;
- reduced sense of smell;
- nasal voices;
- sensation of itching in the nasal cavity;
- sore throat;
- sneezing (especially in the morning);
- reflex cough;
- persistent headaches.
These symptoms in patients with chronic rhinitis may have
varying degrees of severity and manifest themselves in different
|Catarrhal||When a catarrhal patient may complain of:
|Atrophic||Symptoms хронического атрофического ринита значительно
different from other forms of the disease. In particular, instead of permanent
flow from the nose is observed:
|Hypertrophic||With chronic hypertrophic rhinitis other than
nasal congestion and nasal discharge appear:
The disease develops after a long course of catarrhal
|Vasomotor||When vasomotor rhinitis picture is somewhat different. This kind
characterized by the following symptoms:
The discharge of mucus in a patient is watery. In the nose is celebrated
|Atrophic||In this form of the disease atrophy and ceases
function the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity. If this
happens on small separate sites, talk about local
atrophic rhinitis. If large areas of the mucous membrane are affected – o
Depending on the causes of the disease emit
The consequences of chronic catarrhal rhinitis are:
- ear inflammation;
- the appearance of caries;
Late treatment of allergic rhinitis may result in
is the formation of bronchial asthma.
Frequent inhalation of cold air leads to
inflammation of the tonsils, persistent unpleasant smell from the mouth
cavities, various diseases of the lungs and bronchi.
For the diagnosis of chronic rhinitis use data
received as a result of the collection of complaints, an objective examination,
rhinoscopy. Anterior rhinoscopy is usually found.
slight hyperemia and swelling of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity
(mainly in the area of the lower and middle turbinates),
- Laboratory diagnosis. Among laboratory studies can
note the following:
- general blood analysis;
- blood chemistry;
- general urine analysis;
- examination of nasal discharge for bacterial flora
allows you to determine the composition of microflora;
- histological examination.
- Instrumental studies. Among the survey data you can
- endoscopic examination of the nasal cavity;
- radiographs of the paranasal sinuses;
- computed tomography.
How to treat chronic rhinitis
Chronic runny nose in adults will be treated comprehensively.
most effective. An integrated approach to treatment combines
- Drug therapy.
- Surgical intervention.
- Physiotherapy procedures (non-drug
It involves the elimination of the harmful factors
which could contribute to the development of chronic rhinitis.
- sanitation of diseases of the nasopharynx, sinuses;
- treatment of common diseases (cardiovascular, obesity,
- improvement of working and living conditions (elimination of gas pollution and
Drugs for adults
Drug treatment is the use of:
- vasoconstrictor drops, ointments that have
anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, as well as astringent
- If the patient has a fever, the doctor
may prescribe antiviral and antipyretic drugs.
- When hard crusts appear, softening drops can be applied.
and sprays. As a rule, they are developed on salt or oil
- A specialist can also prescribe antibiotics, but it depends
from the clinical picture.
The success of treatment depends on the possibility of elimination.
adverse factors causing the development of chronic rhinitis.
Useful stay in a dry warm climate, hydrotherapy and
It is necessary to treat common diseases associated with chronic
rhinitis, as well as the elimination of intranasal pathology (deformity,
sinusitis, adenoid vegetation).
Topical treatment is the use of antibacterial and
astringent drugs in the form of 3 – 5% solution of protargol (collargol),
0,25-0,5% zinc sulfate solution, 2% salicylic ointment, etc.
Assign to the area of the nose UHF, endonasal ultraviolet irradiation (tube quartz).
The prognosis is usually favorable.
If the patient was diagnosed with vasomotor rhinitis, then
prescribed hormones, antihistamines and
procaine blockades are carried out. In some situations, rhinitis is treated.
laser irradiation or photodestruction. In severe cases
the patient is undergoing surgery.
When rhinitis allergic nature prescribe antihistamines.
funds for general and local use. Useful procedures
are exposure to cold, breathing exercises, inhalation and
reception of sorbents.
If a patient has atrophic rhinitis, then therapy
is as follows.
- In the washing of the nasal passages.
- In carrying out inhalation.
- Lubrication of the nose with iodine solution on glycerin.
- Apply rosehip oil and local aloe juice
In chronic hypertrophic rhinitis in the absence of
positive effect of conservative therapy is shown
surgical treatment which is to deleting excessively
overgrown mucous membrane of the nasal cavity.
In most cases, the intervention is minimally invasive.
- radio wave surgery,
- ultrasound or laser methods.
In some cases, with minor hypertrophy is carried out
submucous vasotomy during which the dissection is performed
vascular connections between the mucosa and periosteum
Often, chronic rhinitis can only be saved by
operations. Today’s medicine offers quite a lot
list of interventions:
- ultrasonic disintegration;
- radio wave disintegration;
- laser destruction;
- cauterization with an electrode;
- removal of the rear ends of the lower nose conchs;
- burning of shells with tri-chloro-acetic acid.
In chronic rhinitis, surgery is aimed at
reduction in the size of the nasal conchas, which should facilitate the patient
possibility of breathing.
Surgical treatment of vasomotor rhinitis is performed during
remission of the disease. It is shown in cases where there are
factors contributing to the progression of the disease, namely:
- disruption of the normal anatomy of the nasal cavity (curvature
partitions, spikes, etc.), causing difficulty breathing through
- hyperplasia (volume increase) of the concha;
- purulent polypous processes in the paranasal sinuses and in the cavity
Before using folk remedies, we recommend turning to
to your doctor, because many ENT diseases have a similar
symptomatology, therefore, treatment prescription is individual
character and only under the supervision of a specialist.
- Garlic drops. Grind the average clove of garlic, pour it
heated in a water bath sunflower oil. Then insist
the resulting mixture for 4-5 hours, strain thoroughly and
bury two drops in the nasal passages up to 4 times a day;
- Aloe drops. For the preparation of these drops will need leaves
aloe, from which it is necessary to squeeze out the juice and mix with water,
observing proportions 1: 1. Instilled solution five times each
nose drops three times a day;
- Laurel drops. Laurel help to cure chronic rhinitis
sheets, which should be mixed with half a teaspoon of salt, honey
and pour boiling water over it. Carefully place the infusion and cool to
temperature 23 degrees. It is recommended to dig in up to 4 times
three drops a day;
- Sea salt. One of the indispensable components for treatment
runny nose Sea salt can be bought in a regular store, from it
very easy to prepare a solution for washing. Proportion:
coffee spoon in a glass.
- Iodine. This tool has a pronounced antiseptic
impact, therefore kills pathogens perfectly
microorganisms penetrated into the nasopharynx. To make the right one
composition, you need to dissolve 15 drops of iodine in a glass of water, and add
half a teaspoon of sea salt.