It happens that in infants under the age of one year dry crusts appear with the ears.
Moms do not know what to do – the baby has scales on the head. They look like a yellowish coating, may be rough to the touch, peel off, and even exude an unpleasant odor. This phenomenon accompanied by severe itching, causing the child to become restless and moody, sleeps poorly and often rubs his head on a pillow.
To find the cause and eliminate it in time, you need to carefully relate to this problem and rather proceed to its solution. And we We will try to help you with this.
Crusts appear for such reasons:
- Inadequate hygiene of the parotid areas;
- Exposure to staph bacteria;
- Allergic reaction;
- Atopic dermatitis (a form of diathesis) – a common name whose “scrofula” (It is worth noting that this disease occurs with a running form of allergy and appears closer to the year child).
The first reason is quite common. When baby eating breast milk or a mixture, then part of the food may flow over the ear.
The same thing happens if a child burps. If wrong hygiene (when attention is paid only to the processing of the auricles), leftover food accumulates in the folds behind the ears and begins rot.
This causes an unpleasant odor, dryness and crusts form. Fortunately, this is the most harmless reason, and it takes a minimum of effort and time in order for her eliminate:
- When you bathe your baby, try to hold him longer head so that the ears are completely immersed in water, on only a face would remain on the surface (do not be afraid, water will not leak in the ears). This is necessary in order to soften the crust, since removing them dry is painful.
- Immediately after swimming, take a piece of gauze and wrap it on your finger in several layers, then moisten it in any oil (sunflower, olive, apricot, burdock). Preference It is worth giving all the same medicinal oils from the pharmacy.
- Gently wipe the baby’s skin behind the ear, trying to remove remnants of crusts.
This procedure will allow you to thoroughly clean the problem areas, and lubrication moisturizes and nourishes dry skin.
To prevent the re-occurrence of crusts, you need wipe the parotid area daily with a cotton swab dipped warm water. Once or twice a week, you can apply a thin layer baby cream to avoid overdrying the skin.
If it’s hot outside and the baby sweats heavily, then the area behind the ears should be given increased Attention. In such cases, wipe these places as often as possible. clean water and then dry thoroughly to avoid diaper rash.
The second cause of crusts is bacteria. staphylococcus. In order to recognize it in time, it is necessary contact your local pediatrician.
The doctor will direct you to take the appropriate tests, after which will diagnose and prescribe treatment. This ointment is combined with increased hygiene behind the ear.
Another reason for the appearance of crusts behind the ears in babies can be called allergies. Some babies have it may occur throughout the body, therefore, if the baby is breastfed when feeding, and you notice red spots, flaky skin, a small rash – you should reconsider your diet. to understand in more detail why a baby has a rough leather.
Read here how to recognize childhood skin diseases. rashes. First of all, it is worth excluding the source of allergens. Them may contain the following products:
- Sweets – honey, chocolate;
- Drinks – cow’s milk, coffee, cocoa;
- Fruits – mainly citrus fruits, and some vegetables – beets, eggplant, tomatoes, sweet peppers;
- Berries – all red, grapes, sea buckthorn;
- Some meats, smoked sausages, seafood, egg yolk and more.
You can study the full list of allergenic products at Thematic sites devoted to this problem.
If your child is on artificial feeding, the cause of allergies can be:
- Replacing the mixture;
- Washing powder or conditioner;
- New cosmetics – oils, creams, ointments, shampoos or soap;
- In spring or summer – poplar fluff, pollen (this can be flowers brought into the house from the street or bought in a store), and also at any time of the year – home plants in the period flowering;
- Pet hair;
- The introduction of complementary foods – should be postponed for a while.
To the last and rarest reason for the appearance of crusts for ears of a child, can be attributed scrofula.
It’s difficult to diagnose this disease in infancy, because different experts explain its origin in different ways. But they nevertheless agree that this is exclusively childish skin disease, (form of diathesis or atopic dermatitis) which adults are not exposed to.
Essentially, atopic dermatitis, the scrofula, is chronic inflammatory skin disease caused by protracted an allergic reaction, the symptoms of which are severe itching, irritation and redness of the skin behind the ears. At the initial stage, the doctor prescribes anti-allergic treatment.
Behind the ears, diaper rash with peeling, crusts, redness and oozing wounds. If you don’t take action in time and don’t consult a doctor, crusts can spread to the skin of the body, cheeks, head, and also lead to painful cracks and sores. From traditional medicine, you can try washing the baby’s skin decoctions of anti-inflammatory fees and drying herbs (a series of viburnum, nettle).
If you notice similar symptoms in your child, you should not self-medicate. Timely started treatment by a specialist help you avoid a lot of problems and save you from uncertainties and errors of self-medication.
Take care of your baby’s ears with love, carefully keep track of hygiene, nutrition and allergic reactions and you don’t will have to face the problem of crusts behind the ears of the baby.