Even in a state of sleep, a person’s muscle tissue is slightly tense. Moderate stress is the norm in medical practice. called “muscle tone.”
But in newborn children, pathology is often found – increased tension of muscle tissue that causes muscles babies shrink like a spring. The diagnosis of “hypertonicity” put approximately 90% of children. If the pathology is detected in a timely manner, appropriate treatment will necessarily lead to a positive dynamics.
Muscle tone in infants may be increased as a result several factors:
- During the period of gestation, the female body underwent an infectious disease, such as herpes, toxoplasmosis, chlamydia, which led to chronic intoxication;
- Pregnancy was accompanied by severe toxicosis or a threat. spontaneous abortion;
- Mom during pregnancy had an increased uterine tone;
- The woman could not give up bad habits, which contributed to fetal poisoning;
- During development, the fetus experienced oxygen starvation;
- A woman has chronic pulmonary disease, heart system, kidneys;
- Patrimonial activity proceeded with violations – dehydration, rapid or prolonged childbirth, entwining with an umbilical cord, not enough open birth canal;
- A cesarean section with a “cosmetic effect” can lead to further hypertonicity in the baby, since removing the baby accounted for through a narrow incision with the risk of damage to the cervical spine spinal column.
All of these problems lead to disorders in the nervous system. the child’s system, which is reflected in the form of increased stress muscle tissue. In addition, the cause of pathology can be mismatch of the rhesus factors of the fetus and mother.
Parents can identify the violation by characteristic featured;
- The baby’s chin twitches;
- The child is restless, often wakes up;
- During sleep, he assumes a posture with his head thrown back and tight legs and handles pressed to the body;
- After feeding, the baby constantly spits up;
- During crying, the child bends back, throwing back a head;
- Gluteal folds are not symmetrical.
There are simple tests to confirm suspicions. When the baby sleeps in a position typical of hypertonicity, you can try lay the pressed legs or handles to the sides. Will be felt significant resistance. If you try again, resistance will increase and the child will cry.
Taking the baby’s armpits, you need to put his legs on horizontal surface. Peculiar to the child automatic walking reflex. If, fingering he only touches the surface with his fingers, as if walking on tiptoe, then you need to visit a specialist. dystonia – what kind of misfortune is this and how does it differ from muscle hypertonicity.
Be sure to read what torticollis prophylaxis should be in newborns.
Mom’s note: details on the rate of intracranial pressure newborn. Differentiate pathological and physiological hypertonicity. Physiological weakens gradually and by the age of two age disappears completely. Pathological requires specific treatment, which should be prescribed by a neurologist. If the violation identified in the first year of life, the prognosis of treatment is favorable.
Self-treatment of hypertension is not recommended, since symptomatology is inherent in many pathologies of newborns. To put an accurate diagnosis is only capable of a professional.